Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Maybe broken leg???

rayofsunshine32

Cavy Slave
I need some advice! I was holding my 7 month old guinea pig on the couch and he climbed up on my shoulder and was just sitting there.My 5 year old son ran from the kitchen into the living room where i was sitting and scared him. He jumped off my shoulder and landed on the floor! Now he is limping around in his cage and dragging his hind right leg around.he can barely stand. I have another pig in there with him too. what should I do??!!!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I'd separate him from the other pig, keep him from moving around as much as possible and get him to a vet for xrays as soon as possible.

rayofsunshine32

Cavy Slave
yeah thats the problem,I am so broke right now and the vet isnt open today. And just to take the guinea pig to the vet is 80 dollars plus whatever else they do to him. I am going to put him back in the old cage right now. Thanks for the tip.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
If you had a broken leg wouldn't you appreciate care straight away?

I know money's tight, and I know it sucks to be broke, but that is an animal that is entirely dependent on you for his care. There isn't a home remedy for a broken bone.

rayofsunshine32

Cavy Slave
I want to take him to the vet really bad but.... they make you pay up front at my vet and i dont have 200 or however much its going to cost me to take him. i understand there is no home remedy for a broken leg but im hoping its just a sprang or something.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Either way he'd probably benefit from at least pain meds.

Have you looked into care credit?

dra&pigs

Cavy Slave
I don't know you, and I am not going to judge you without full knowledge of your situation, but you should try to get him to a vet ASAP. If you really have a caring, animal-focused vet, he/she will care more about the treatment of the animal than your up-front payment. Like rabbitsncavyluv said, have you looked into care credit? I'm positive, that if you had a sprained or broken leg, wouldn't you appreciate some treatment and pain medication? I've broken plenty of bones, and I certainly appreciated the medical treatment I got. I would try as hard as I could to get the pig to the vet.
Now, for what you can do, you are right in the matter of home treatment. There isn't any. Seperate him from the other pig and make sure his water and food are in easy reach of him. It wouldn't hurt to use fleece or at least towels for him, to make the surface more comfortable.

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
I'm a poor college student, money is always tight and I have 5 pigs! Here is what I did when I got my first pigs in case something like this ever happened: I "shopped around for a vet". By that I mean, I found a very good cavy savvy vet at prices that I could afford. Just for the vet to do a general health check is $38, and for a neuter and everything associated with it was only $116 (he got free check-ups at the place I go to). They know I'm a poor college student, and I guess they really care about the animals and that I do everything I can to do right by them (the guinea pigs). I also made sure that if a bill ever gets too high for me to pay right away, that I can make payments until I've paid off the treatment.

Here's my point: are there any other good cavy savvy vets in your area or that you would be able to get him too that is MORE SO in your budget? Also make sure that if necessary you can pay in installments. I know for me, doing this makes having 5 pigs MUCH easier financially and I have peace of mind. You can also ask them for an estimate on the phone so you can compare the prices at places.

Until then, make him comfortable as possible, restrict his movement and watch him closely.

And please do not take this last comment the wrong way, I mean NOTHING negative by it. Next time when spending lap time with your pigs, make sure they are on your lap, not your shoulder just in case something startles them. I know how jumpy they can be.

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
rayofsunshine32: I just mapquested your listed hometown to the town I take my pigs to. Remember general check up is HALF the amount you pay at yours! Go to Janesville, Wisconsin! It's about 1 hour 45 minutes away!
Janesville Veterinary Clinic East
That is the website of the clinic I go to! Michael J. Hotchkiss DVM is my vet. Ask if you can pay in installments, they have let me do it! He is very capable, friendly, and a great guy. He's performed 2 surgeries on my boy pig. Please see him ASAP!

rayofsunshine32

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone for your advice and concern. The animal emergency center in our area does not see guinea pigs so I have to wait until the morning for anyone to see him. I have been calling places all day. I am going to call my vet first thing in the morning and see if they can see him or if they know anywhere where they can bill me and not make me pay as soon as i walk out of the room.thanks again.

Tserisa

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry this has happened. It is very hard. Thank you for coming here and trying to do right for your pig.

Please keep in mind if you do not provide vet care for your pig you are actually breaking the law.

Also, you can't wait to shop around too long, because a broken leg can set wrong, and the longer you wait the worse it can get. The bone can even necrotize (die and rot inside him).

If you can't afford it, you may be able to find a rescue who can take him and get him vet care. Just hurry, whatever you do.

I know it is too late to think about now, but since you are low on money and have pets, you must think ahead to events like this and put money aside. I have been so poor that I have not had enough to eat before. I put aside money in a savings account to have for if something happened to my animals. If you own a pet, you are required to provide care for them. That includes housing, food, and medical care. If you can't provide all these things at all times, you are not capable of supporting an animal at that time.

ColoradoMama

Cavy Slave
rayofsunshine, I've been thinking about you and your pig since last night. Do you have an update on him? Did you find a vet to work something out with? Please keep us posted on here so we know he's OK.

Angelgal
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

rayofsunshine32

Cavy Slave
Just an update.... I did take max to the vet and he has a small fracture.he is doing ok now and is hoping around on 3 legs happily squeeking around.I still have him in an isolated room though away from my other pig so he can heal in peace.Let him out of his cage today though and he was hopping all over the place sniffing my son's room out.

5guinea5pig5

Cavy Slave
Congrats that you got him the medical attention he needs! Any medicine? Also, I would suggest not giving his floor time and giving him a smaller cage so that he wouldn't be tempted to run on his leg.

rayofsunshine32

Cavy Slave
he is in the smaller cage.the cage i originally bought at a pet store.as far as meds,he isnt on any.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.