Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Dry Skin Treatment?

Reiland

Cavy Slave
What can I use on my pig to treat dry skin? He does not have mites, fungus, etc, so please do not tell me to treat for those. We do live in an extremely dry climate (think high desert).

It's hard enough to find products which work on people! I use rosehip oil and myrrh oil on my own skin, as well as taking flax/borage/fish oil capsules and drinking LOTS of water. Would any of those be safe to dilute and use on a pig?

Piper

Cavy Slave
Dry skin?

Bubbles my teddy guinea pig has some dry flakey skin on the back of her ear? I have 3 pigs, two abbys and bubbles the teddy when it started getting colder they all three got a little itchy so I started treating for mites just incase tomorrow is there 3rd dose. The heat in our apartment dries the air out alot so I'm thinking its just dry skin since the itching hasn't really changed and it never was bad just the occasional scratching themselves, oddly enough I almost never see bubbles actually scratch herself. There all three still eating/pooping/acting normal but today i noticed the dry flakey skin on the back of bubbles right ear, no dry spots on the other two.

I've read teddys have more trouble with dry skin then other breeds so I'm wondering if there is anything i can do to help her. I read some people supplement there teddys food with some sunflower seeds or oats to help with skin any suggestions?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
You want to use something completely vegan on your pig in case he should decide to lick the area you treat. Cold pressed coconut oil has been recommended several times and can often be found in health food or natural food stores.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I use Humilac spray. I got it from my vet but I think you can find it in pet stores.

gooberific

Cavy Slave
You want to use something completely vegan on your pig in case he should decide to lick the area you treat. Cold pressed coconut oil has been recommended several times and can often be found in health food or natural food stores.

Would grapeseed oil do the same thing? I use it to clean butts & grease glands, but never thought about dry spots.

WICavy

Cavy Slave
My piggies have dry skin issues as well (I've heard it's common with Teddies), and I give them about 1 to 2 teaspoons of hulled, unsalted sunflower seeds, 2 to 4 days a week. No more problem and their coats seems glossier now as well. I know they say no seeds, but it works for my pigs. I was considering flaxseed oil or wheat germ oil (added to food), but why change something that's working.

Reiland

Cavy Slave
Thank you, everyone, for the helpful advice!

I've done a bit of searching online, and it sounds as though a number of people mix coconut oil in with their dog or cat's food to keep their skin and coat healthy. Has anyone done or heard of this being done with pigs?

For now, I'm going to try the topical coconut oil (I have a very healthy kitchen, so have some on hand!) and look for the Humilac spray.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
WICavy - I know the seeds seem to work for your cavies, but I still would never recommend them to anyone. It only takes once for a seed to get stuck on a pig's tooth or in their throat, for it to cause choking and possibly death.

Amsley246 - While it's very true that you shouldn't feed coconut to your cavies, using a bit of the pressed oil, gently massaged into dry spots on the skin, shouldn't be a problem. There is very little chance of them ingesting much if any of the coconut at all if any should be licked. The reason I mentioned the licking is that it is a vegetable product and non-toxic to the pigs.

gooberific - I'm not sure about the grapeseed oil. I know they can eat grapes, but not sure if there is anything in the seeds that they should not have. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will come along and answer that question.

NOTE: I combined the two threads about dry skin treatments, so people would not be responding redundantly. Both threads were started so close together, people may not have realized that the other one existed.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I read some people supplement there teddys food with some sunflower seeds or oats to help with skin any suggestions?
You don't want to feed cavies sunflower seeds as no seeds should ever be fed because of obesity problems and choking hazards. Oats are a grain and should not be fed as cavies have a hard time digesting grains. There are other alternatives that you can use instead of sunflower seeds/hulls.

I know many people on gl have suggested coconut oil. It would fine to use topically because you aren't feeding it to them and it's not quite the same as feeding them coconuts. If they lick a bit off while grooming themselves, it's not going to hurt them. I wouldn't mix it in with their food though.

I'm not sure on the grapeseed oil myself.

Last edited:

WICavy

Cavy Slave
How are they going to choke on a sunflower seed? They're the same size as their pellets! I could see them having problems with unhulled ones, but not if it's just the seed. Sorry but choking on a sunflower seed just doesn't make logical sense to me.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
It's not just about choking. It's about sunflower seeds being high in fats and causing obesity problems. It's also about them getting the seeds stuck between their front teeth. Bottom line is no seeds should ever be fed except soft seeds in some veggies like cucumber and tomato.

WICavy

Cavy Slave
Well to each their own, I suppose. :D

I'm sticking with the sunflower seeds (better than dry, itchy skin).

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I think I'll try that WICavy. I have a pig who is very dry and even the humilac spray is difficult because you end up getting his fur soaked which I don't like to do in the colder months. Also, when you have a pig with very thick hair it's a real problem trying to get through it all to put something on the skin. But I've only ever heard of topical treatments so that's what I've used.

Makes sense to heal skin from the inside out. I have eczema that I manage in part by eating coconut oil.

WICavy

Cavy Slave
Makes sense to heal skin from the inside out.

That's what I thought as well. I couldn't imagine trying use something topical; teddies have such dense fur!

Ly&Pigs makes a good point about obesity though. I'd suggest starting with a small amount 1/2 teaspoon or less a few times a week and go from there. You could do frequent weight-checks (I usually weigh on a weekly bases or more.) If you're pig starts putting on weight cut back on the amount/frequency.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
To EVERYONE: Please don't give advice that goes against what this forum stands for. We do not condone giving seeds of any type. Do not start recommending people to give sunflower seeds for any reason unless you'd like to be wheeked/poo'd for giving bad advice. We mods have a low tolerance for people giving bad advice.

As I stated before on this thread, there are other ways to help dry skin.

WICavy

Cavy Slave
We mods have a low tolerance for people...quote]

Very obvious... I bow down and ask forgiveness for voliating the all mighty policies. Freedom of speech and differing opinions are only okay as long as it agrees with policy. I forgot... Sorry I offended your god complex...

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Notice she said low tolerence for people giving bad advice.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
... I bow down and ask forgiveness for voliating the all mighty policies. Freedom of speech and differing opinions are only okay as long as it agrees with policy. I forgot... Sorry I offended your god complex...
Putting your own pigs' health in danger due to reluctance to follow tried, true, and tested diet/nutrition guidelines is sad enough. To mis-lead other newbies into doing the same thing is irresponsible.

Last edited by a moderator:

WICavy

Cavy Slave
reluctance to follow tried, true, and tested diet/nutrition guidelines...

This website is not the definitive, end all answer to all things guinea pigs. There are other sources for information; some good, some very bad. I review all points of view and decide what is best for MY situation. I will not be bullied into changing my opinions.

This site is biased in some ways and I take everything with a grain of salt. There are just as many if not more people (with more experience and expertise) that say sunflower seeds are okay.

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, but I had an opinion and stated it. Someone else showed interest in what I said and I expanded on it. Next time I'll take it to private messages since obviously differing opinions are not tolerated here. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.