Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Unneutered male AND spayed female question

guinealuvs

Cavy Slave
I've looked all over for information on the pairing of a spayed female and an unneutured male guinea pig. Does anyone know if this pairing is safe or not recommended? I only ask b/c I have an unneutured male right now and sometime down the line I would like to get another but I will NOT get him fixed since it is not necessary.

I know it is recommended that you get another male if you already have a male guinea pig, but I wanted to know if a spayed female would work out too. Thanx.

frashy

Cavy Slave
Male and female pairs actually have more of a chance of getting along than with two males, unless it happens to be a very dominent sassy sow.

And it would actually be better to get your male neutered, unless you have an already spayed sow. Neutering usually less expensive and less risky than for a female to get spayed, generally. It is rare that you will even be able to find a spayed female.

alm_nin

Cavy Slave
I think that EARPS animal rescue in Indiana has their females spayed before adopting them out, you could check with them...
Their website is (broken link removed) and you can also find them on petfinder. Their website says that they just helped in the rescue of over 70 guinea pigs, so I'm sure they will have lots of piggies looking for homes soon!

Last edited:

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Intact male and spayed female(s) is a fine combination if that's what you happen to have. They will get along as well as their personalities permit.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I had an intact male and spayed female together and they were no different than my intact female and neutered male pairs. They got along quite well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.