Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

2 week old pig

blubrd12

Cavy Slave
Hi- I go to university and on our community board today I saw a posting from someone saying they had a mom guinea pig with one 2 week old baby that they needed to get rid of immediatley or they would be set free in the next day or two. I am now having a dilemma. I recently adopted a month old piggy that is in quarantine and will be added to my other two boars in about 2 1/2 weeks. We really were not looking to have four but it seems I may have no choice. I cant imagine letting this happen and not doing anything about it. I called them this afternoon and they apparently found a home for the mother so they now have this lonely 2 week old piggy that they are willing to hold for me for a day before they release him. My main question I guess is about his age. Will a pig who was seperated from his mother at this young age be able to thrive? Will there be major problems? Would I have to feed him differently? I have come to the realization I wont have a choice but to take him and try to find him a home with someone else since four really wasnt on the agenda.

Thanks

Taboo

Cavy Slave
Babies up untill theyre 6 months old should have alfafa.
3 wks is when they really should be separated but he should be fine.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
I would give him extra calcium filled foods and get him to a vet because I doubt he can be healthy. I'm sure other member have much better idea's but remember NO milk substitute!

Also, kudos to your for taking in the sweety.

plopper

Cavy Slave
I agree three weeks is the appropriate age to remove him fom Mum but by two weeks he can be weaned and eating for himself so he should thrive given the right diet. Well done you for taking him - have you considered having two pairs of boars as opposed to a trio which can be tricky. I know you said a fourth wasn't really on the cards but these little furries have a way of pulling on our heart strings hence me having 11

RainKindle

Cavy Slave
For the most part the baby will be ok on the proper diet scheme laid out by ly's chart and either alfalfa pellets or hay (not both) for it's first few months.
My rescue's babies were eating mommy's food on day one, and understood the water bottle.
The biggest drawback is that the baby wont have learned all it could from mommy before being separated from her...
Plopper had a great suggestion to do two sets of two boars.
This could be great for the baby because then it could learn from an older boar, so if you get it, double check the sex and you should be ok.

blubrd12

Cavy Slave
2 week old pig with lice

So I have brought the baby home and he looks happy and healthy. My only problem is that he has lice! I dont know what to do. How do you treat a 2 week old pig for lice? Do I wait until hes bigger and hope the lice doesnt bother him until then? I have not seen anything moving but he has what look like little white eggs on the base of his hair. Any help appreciated!

clotho

Cavy Slave
Guinea Lynx :: Lice

Guinea Lynx :: Topic - Advantage (imidacloprid) for Lice

Advantage kills lice. Advantage can be used in newly weaned cavies. Please read all directions carefully if you decide to treat the baby yourself. A cavy savy vet would be your best bet for making sure the little one gets the right dosage/treatment.

I would get yourself a good digital kitchen scale so you can weigh the baby daily (in grams). That way you can see any weight gains/losses even if they are small. You want to make sure the baby is gaining and thriving. If the little one is not thriving, you will want Critical Care to feed him - as already stated NO milk substitutes! You must be very careful if handfeeding a baby so it's best if you can get him eating on his own. Another piggie who is older and more experienced would be very good for the little one to teach him the ropes.

Guinea Lynx :: Hand Feeding

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.