Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Thicker fur in the winter?

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure if this is a stupid question or not, but do Guinea pigs get thicker fur in the winter? Charlie is looking fluffier, or I might just be imagining it. I did switch her hay to KM, and I plan to get her on KM's timothy pellets as well as soon as they arrive. Could the diet change be making her look this way? I swear she's starting to look different though I'm just not sure what if it's not thicker fur.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
In my experience, their fur might be a little thicker - but it isn't like it is with dogs and cats. Could be the diet change, or a combination of that and the weather change.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
I haven't noticed my pigs getting thicker fur. They might shed less but thats about it. Sometimes "poofing up" is a sign of pain. I don't mean to worry you though.

iluvmypigclover

Cavy Slave
Well, I notice that around October, Clover sheds a TON! She loses a lot of hair, but it grows back in. I haven't really noticed if it is thicker or not, but I do know that October is crazy shed month.

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
I haven't noticed my pigs getting thicker fur. They might shed less but thats about it. Sometimes "poofing up" is a sign of pain. I don't mean to worry you though.

I'm about positive she's not in pain. She runs, popcorns, rolls her jingle ball around the cage, eats, drinks, everything just as normal.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I'm about positive she's not in pain. She runs, popcorns, rolls her jingle ball around the cage, eats, drinks, everything just as normal.

Pigs also puff their coats like that when they're cold or eating cold veggies sometimes. Unless it's constant, she's probably not in pain, as you suspect. I do know what you mean about the thicker coats - and probably some breeds are more likely to get thicker coats than others.

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
AH HA! She was eating lettuce that I just gave to her straight from out of the fridge and rinsed when I noticed it. Maybe that was it. Plus I think her fur is getting shinier from changing her to a better diet since I found this site.

RainKindle

Cavy Slave
My first rescue is very furry. When I first got her her hair was matted and she wasn't that old! Her butt hair got longer as she got older. It always looks messy.
I brush her several times a week.
I most certainly noticed a thickening as the temp and daylight decreased here in MN, and since you are in Michigan, I wouldn't be surprised.
Her hair is so thick that I just bought a multi pack of combs at a dollar store.
Most of my guineas are on the fluffier side and now that I am thinking about what you said, I think the others have thickened too. But really I noticed it and know for sure on the one I have to brush constantly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.