Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Fleas?

malexis

Cavy Slave
I have recently started taking my guinea pig outside, within the last month and am worried about her getting fleas. Is there a medicine i can use to prevent her from getting them? How often would i use it and how much?

Thank you

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
Fleas are not common in guinea pigs, but Revolution or Advantage is a flea and tick preventive for dogs and cats. I know both are safe to use on pigs to treat lice, but that's the extent of my knowledge!

This thread at the GL forum may be of some interest to you:
Guinea Lynx :: Topic - Prob with Fleas

malexis

Cavy Slave
So if i got advantage for dog or cats how much would i use? Also would i do it once a month?

Even if fleas aren't common i would like to be on the safe side and prevent it, because it would be a lot worse if she got them.

RainKindle

Cavy Slave
I don't ever trust flea prevention. Whenever we would put any on my dog she would ALWAYS get sick. I believe the brands we tried were the ones you mentioned. I would never subject my guinea to flea prevention chemicals. I've just had too many bad experiences.
Also, from what I hear, guineas tend to get other illnesses more often than fleas.

malexis

Cavy Slave
Okay, so its best not to do it im guessing... What if she does get them? Hopefully she wont, but i really enjoy letting her go outside i just dont want her to get sick though

RainKindle

Cavy Slave
I feel bad for not having the answer now that I've scared you away from preventative flea protection.
I've just never had any pets with fleas; I've been lucky.
I'm going to watch for the answer like you because I don't know either.
I think it is great that you take your guinea outside by the way.
I'm jealous because I can't do it here due to the pesticides.
(I live in a community town-home area, and don't have a choice about the pesticides.)

Last edited:

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Revolution and Advantage are safe for guinea pigs at the recommended doses. Hartz brand flea products are well-known to be dangerous or deadly--do not confuse them with advantage and revolution!

malexis

Cavy Slave
So i would use as much as a small dog would on my guinea pig?

Do i get the dog, puppy, or kitten version?

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
I imagine you would have to calculate the dosage based on your pigs weight. There was a link within the link I posted you earlier that contains dosing information. Guinea Lynx :: Antiparasitics

petal

Cavy Slave
To my knowledge guinea pigs do not get fleas, if say a cat had fleas and one jumped of and went onto your guinea pig the flea would say yuck and try to find yours or another cat to be on.
Our rabbit got fleas once and we bought Advantage for puppies and dogs up to 4kgs as it does say safe for rabbits and ferrets.
But I don't think you have anything to worry about hoping this link helps you
(broken link removed)
good luck and keep us posted. On what treatment you do use.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Pigs can and do get fleas but it's not as common a problem as mites and other parasites are.

Here is a page from gl about the different types of parasites that pigs can get.
Guinea Lynx :: Parasites

They don't need preventatives like cats and dogs may need. If your pig has fleas then you may need to do a treatment with advantage or revolution but don't treat just for treatments sake or as a preventative measure.

And newbies- please don't reply on threads here in the medical section with guesses. Only those members with medical knowledge should reply. If you don't know then don't guess.

malexis

Cavy Slave
Okay thank you everyone i will not use flea medicine as a preventative but only as a treatment if she gets them.

I havent looked at the links yet, but i am going to right now. Thanks

Drawingwords

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs got treated with revolution when I suspected one of them maybe had mites. At the time, one of them was pregnant and it was safe to use on her then. He used the kitten phial. And yes, you have to go by weight and that calculator would help. When they got treated I took them outside and never saw a flea on them. I haven't heard of any guinea's picking up fleas though from being outside.

malexis

Cavy Slave
Iv'e heard of advantage before but never of revolution. Does revolution treat fleas and mites, or just mites? Are both advantage and revolution avaliable at the store?

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
Once again, the answer was in the link I provided. =/
Guinea Lynx :: Antiparasitics

Imidacloprid -- (Advantage) for lice only [it does NOT kill mange mites]

Selamectin -- (Revolution)
A newer treatment for mites and lice requiring a prescription.

malexis

Cavy Slave
Okay, sorry for not reading closer. I just went to the link and clicked on the dosing calculator.

Fleas and lice are the same, right?

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
No, not exactly; fleas suck blood, lice bite. They're two different beasties.
But as far as treatment goes, they're "the same" because they're treated the same way, with Advantage or Revolution.

Are you still planning on doing a preventative treatment?

Angelgal
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

malexis

Cavy Slave
Okay, thanks I wasnt sure if fleas and lice were the same. I will not do a preventative treatment, since most people say fleas are pretty uncommon. If she does get fleas or lice I will go ahead and treat her.

Angelgal I dont know if those sprays work, so maybe someone else here can help you.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I have seen sprays in petstores for flea prevention for small animals (hamsters, guinea pigs etc.) Are these safe?
No, they are not safe. Please don't use them. They contain pyrethins and other unsafe medications for guinea pigs and other small animals.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.