Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Piggie mites - do they bite humans?

ohgracie

Cavy Slave
Yesterday after holding my piggies (very briefly) my one arm broke out in a rash that was a bunch of small red dots. I am allergic so I didn't really think much about it. They went away after about 30 minutes. Just now, after only petting them a few times i have 3 dots...very itchy and about the size of the 'o's in this font. Could they possibly be mites and not an allergic reaction?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
No but often people have allergic reactions like that to their pigs when they have mites.

Have you treated them for mites ever?

ohgracie

Cavy Slave
I have not treated them...I just got them a few days ago. I'm going to take them to the vet tomorrow to have them checked. AND...I'm going to the allergist next week (not looking forward to that!)
Thanks for your reply.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
Mites are microscopic lilcavy, you're entire post is incorrect.
The enzymes from their mouth is what causes a rash in humans, and I believe they're also species specific, or at least one type of mite is, which means they wont' feed on you or your other non-guinea pig pets.

Guinea Lynx :: Fur Mites

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Not really. You cannot see the mites that guinea pigs typically get. They live under the skin.

Guinea pigs rarely get fleas; they are more prone to mites and lice: Guinea Lynx :: Mange Mites

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.