Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Guinea Pig won't drink water

Lucy88

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig has not been drinking water ever since I changed her small cage to a huge cage, it’s been a week or so since she refused to drink water in the new cage.

She used to drink approximate 1 bottle of water every 3 day in her old cage. Is this normal after changing the environment? I'm getting concerned about her health. she eats healthy, regular food and lots of vegetables.

Thanks
Lucy88

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
You need to get some water in that pig fast. You could use a syringe and force feed her water. Are you sure she hasent been drinking. I would take her to a vet ass soon as possible. You could also put a bunch of water on her veggies.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Get her to a vet ASAP. When my pig stopped drinking, it was followed by stopping eating, and then it was too late. i tried to save him, I force fed him water and food, but he died from scurvy a week after taking him to the vet.

Lucy88

Cavy Slave
tashagurl said:
You need to get some water in that pig fast. You could use a syringe and force feed her water. Are you sure she hasent been drinking. I would take her to a vet ass soon as possible. You could also put a bunch of water on her veggies.
I check the newspapers under the bedding and it was wet, and i also forced water fed her with a syringe like you said but I will take her to the vet tomorrow just incase.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
The only time my pigs stoped drinking was when one of them had pregnancy toxemia and when Salem broke his tooth. I think his gums were too sore. I gave him water from a syringe for a while and he loved the extra attention. Please take your pig to the vet before it becomes anymore serious.

Im sorry about your pig Doc.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the condolenses(however you spell it.), Tashagurl

Setsuna

Cavy Slave
=O Oh dear Im sorry! I hope Your Baby is alright!

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
Its hard to lose a pig. Tess died three days after I rescued her from my *friends* house. She had lost intrest and was completly neglecting her pregnant pig. She died from pregnancy toxemia before I could take her to the vets.

Denise

Cavy Slave
Mine didn't appear to drink after I put them in their big cage, so I just wet their veggies at breakfast and dinner. I was also concerned that there was a problem, but there wasn't. I would moniter him/her closely, and see what happens. If anything else changes, then off to the vet ASAP!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.