Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Himalayan Guinea Pigs

Malimo8

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know where i could get a Himalayan Guinea Pig? Ive asked bunches of people and nobody knows.

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
Your best bet is just to contact every rescue/shelter you can find. It's a hit-or-miss kind of thing.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Why do you want a himi?

Char-x

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Why is it important you get a Himi? I've got one but he was rescued...

Cherish

Cavy Slave
Are you sure you only want a Himi?
If you have a look around a local rescue, you might just fall in love with a gorgeous little piggy of a different breed!

naturegal592

Cavy Slave
There have been some on Petfinder.

Malimo8

Cavy Slave
We have 6 guineas and my boyfriends mom wants a Himalayan for her next and last piggie. She just loves them. We have been trying to find one for a while now but no luck.

Malimo8

Cavy Slave
We also just got the cutest little piggies. Ill post soon. Noone knows where i can get a himi?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Malimo8--This is a rescue oriented site. If you are hoping that someone here is going to tell you about a breeder they know who has Himis then I doubt you will get the info you want.

I, like everyone else, suggest you look on Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten. and call (or better yet visit) your local shelters and rescues. The only thing Himis have going for them that is different then other pigs is their coloring. Is that really enough to turn your back on a needy rescue? Is coloring so important that you and your mother would sign the death warrant for another animal to get it? I certainly hope not.

There are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of guinea pig out there who need someone to give them a second chance. They are lovable and charming and have not committed any crime, unless you consider the coloring of their hair a crime. Please think about it and give one of them a chance at living a happier life then they may have started out with.

Char-x

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Malimo8 you asked on my picture where I got my Himilayan from, as I said on here I rescued him...I really dont understand why you or whoever wants a Himi so bad though, like VJ said they only have different colouring but it's not that exciting.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
I have seen Himilayans on petfinder.com! I don't know how bad you want one but they are out there. You may have to travel a bit to rescue one, but if you really want one then it is worth the trip!

Good luck!

cavyinhawaii

Cavy Slave
I have one but they are deffinately something you have to look for. Just keep checking the internet rescue sites, petfinder, or your ASPCA. Himi's also are not all necessarly the same looking like cat himi's are, Mine has grey tipped ears and one grey foot. I have a friend that has one with really dark ears but white face and feet. You can see my himi in my avatar but the grey is light. She looks white. When you are looking online look at the white pigs too and ask if they have any grey/black/brown markings. The older they get it seems they darken up.
** My Himi is not from a breeder or petshop:cheerful: **

Avsgrae

Cavy Slave
Malimo8--This is a rescue oriented site. If you are hoping that someone here is going to tell you about a breeder they know who has Himis then I doubt you will get the info you want.

I, like everyone else, suggest you look on Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten. and call (or better yet visit) your local shelters and rescues. The only thing Himis have going for them that is different then other pigs is their coloring. Is that really enough to turn your back on a needy rescue? Is coloring so important that you and your mother would sign the death warrant for another animal to get it? I certainly hope not.

There are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of guinea pig out there who need someone to give them a second chance. They are lovable and charming and have not committed any crime, unless you consider the coloring of their hair a crime. Please think about it and give one of them a chance at living a happier life then they may have started out with.
I want a Himilayan Guinea pig unbelieveably bad. Ill tell you why. All of my Guinea pigs when i was younger are rescues and I'd say I'm entitled to want a certain type when I've literally had over 50 Guinea pigs. And where I live, there's only one animal shelter. And its for dogs and cats. Because there is hardly a feral pet population at all. Our city is too small. Also another reason is because my grandmother was a cat person. The only cats she ever had were blue point siameses, before she died. And it just so happens she adopted a couple of those too. (Only a couple because they're about 800 a piece.) Also it gets a little colder where I live and himilayans coats darken with colder temperatures actually. Its kind of disheartening that such conclusions are drawn about personal integrity when in all actuality none of us know ones motives at all. And also I live in the middle of nowhere and the nearest Guinea pig on petfinder is 300 miles away from me. I've adopted countless Guinea pigs when i lived closer to them but now that I want a specific breed I'm a monster for not adopting. Its almost like saying you don't want to have your own baby because you could fly to China and rescue one there. Oh and if you don't then you're coldhearted.

Last edited:

Avsgrae

Cavy Slave

I just looked at some Guinea pigs on petfinder. :( I forgot how sad that is actually... I just wish it was cheaper to fly to la

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Malimo,

Why the need for the specific breed? It's fine to be interested in a himi but don't turn your nose up at others in need of a home simply because they aren't one.

I want a Himilayan Guinea pig unbelieveably bad. Ill tell you why. All of my Guinea pigs when i was younger are rescues and I'd say I'm entitled to want a certain type when I've literally had over 50 Guinea pigs.

Entitled?? Sorry but no. No one is "entitled" to own a certain type of guinea pig simply because they've had a lot of them. It sounds like you feel that you've "paid your guinea pig dues" by owning a lot of them and now you get to ignore those in need in order to get the kind you like. It doesn't work that way. There's nothing saying that guinea pig ownership is a RIGHT. It is a privilege.

And where I live, there's only one animal shelter. And its for dogs and cats. Because there is hardly a feral pet population at all. Our city is too small.

Are you confusing "feral" with "stray"? Your city is "too small" to have stray animals?? I don't think I've ever heard of square mileage taking care of a stray animal problem. I mean it's not like the cats and dogs wander into town, take a look around and say, "Nope, this town is too small, let's move on".

Also another reason is because my grandmother was a cat person. The only cats she ever had were blue point siameses, before she died.

Please tell me....PLEASE tell me that you aren't using the "Well if it's good enough for grandma, it's good enough for me" argument to justify ignoring all other breeds.

Its kind of disheartening that such conclusions are drawn about personal integrity when in all actuality none of us know ones motives at all.

Our interest here is in guinea pig welfare and while it's fine to be interested in a certain breed, that interest should not come at the detriment to all others in need.

And also I live in the middle of nowhere and the nearest Guinea pig on petfinder is 300 miles away from me. I've adopted countless Guinea pigs when i lived closer to them but now that I want a specific breed I'm a monster for not adopting.

No one called you a monster. No one even questioned you. It seems to me that you voluntarily offered up this information. It sounds like you are using your location and past guinea pig ownership as justification for going a route other than adoption or for going to a breeder.

Its almost like saying you don't want to have your own baby because you could fly to China and rescue one there. Oh and if you don't then you're coldhearted.

People make a CHOICE to have or not have a child. Female pigs who are bred are not doing so by choice. There is an overpopulation problem with guinea pigs as well as cats and dogs. Breeding compounds this problem. Adopting adds to the solution.

Avsgrae

Cavy Slave
Malimo,

Why the need for the specific breed? It's fine to be interested in a himi but don't turn your nose up at others in need of a home simply because they aren't one.

Entitled?? Sorry but no. No one is "entitled" to own a certain type of guinea pig simply because they've had a lot of them. It sounds like you feel that you've "paid your guinea pig dues" by owning a lot of them and now you get to ignore those in need in order to get the kind you like. It doesn't work that way. There's nothing saying that guinea pig ownership is a RIGHT. It is a privilege.

Are you confusing "feral" with "stray"? Your city is "too small" to have stray animals?? I don't think I've ever heard of square mileage taking care of a stray animal problem. I mean it's not like the cats and dogs wander into town, take a look around and say, "Nope, this town is too small, let's move on".

Please tell me....PLEASE tell me that you aren't using the "Well if it's good enough for grandma, it's good enough for me" argument to justify ignoring all other breeds.

Our interest here is in guinea pig welfare and while it's fine to be interested in a certain breed, that interest should not come at the detriment to all others in need.

No one called you a monster. No one even questioned you. It seems to me that you voluntarily offered up this information. It sounds like you are using your location and past guinea pig ownership as justification for going a route other than adoption or for going to a breeder.

People make a CHOICE to have or not have a child. Female pigs who are bred are not doing so by choice. There is an overpopulation problem with guinea pigs as well as cats and dogs. Breeding compounds this problem. Adopting adds to the solution.
Guinea Pig ownership has always been a privilege for me and i love it. Now entitled may sound a bit narcissistic, but its not. Ive just never even seen a Himalayan and i would love to have one I also want a ridgeback Guinea pig but those are rare. To tell you the truth none of my Guinea pigs mean any less or any more to Me dependent on color or breed or anything or dependent on anything at all really. Its not that I've paid my dues its that Ventura is the nearest thing to me with a Guinea pig... its 200 miles away. No I meant feral. Feral is a state of being wild after escape from captivity. Like a feral cat? Also its not that they come into town and leave its that if there are stray animals amuck they're all tagged here and everyone I know has ID chips in their dogs. The only animals I ever see running around are out in the country or running behind tractors with their human driving on backroads. Another thing is, no I'm not using that excuse at all. My grandma is dead. Didn't know her til I was 15. But she was sweet and her cats were beautiful. When i was younger my mom used to tell me stories about the Siamese cats that they used to have and i guess I might have been a bit captivated true. Listen, do I want a Himalayan? Yes. Will I turn my back on less fortunate pigs and only look for a Himalayan? Absolutely not. I'm not even actively seeking one. Its just a before I die thing I guess. I'd prefer it'd be a rescue but i can hardly find New Guinea pigs much less a rescue shelter. Someone asked about a certain breed and everyone starts saying things like wow why would you actually want a certain type of Guinea pig? Also this isn't voluntary i looked up where I could "find" a Himalayan. Not "buy" and it brought me to a thread on this site where someone said basically why do you want a certain type of Guinea pig levy would you turn your back on rescues etc. When i ask people about a Guinea pig rescue they laugh cause they don't even know there is such a thing. (In LA) Also no offense but, I don't have to justify anything at all to you. And i hate the idea of a breeder for any animal. So if I wanted a breeder pig I wouldn't have to justify anything to anyone cause no one would care. But i don't. Also I don't know about you but when my Guinea pigs had babies I didn't force anything, I even broke it up for the first couple months. And sure breeders will. force mating that's horrible it really is. But isn't a pig from anywhere that's going into good hands to be taken care of essentially rescued? I know hen I'm in the pet store I always worry some little brat kid will get one and kill it and move on before I had even found out its name. Adoption is a good process but its just out of reach.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
And i hate the idea of a breeder for any animal. So if I wanted a breeder pig I wouldn't have to justify anything to anyone cause no one would care. But i don't. Also I don't know about you but when my Guinea pigs had babies I didn't force anything, I even broke it up for the first couple months. And sure breeders will. force mating that's horrible it really is.

You hate the idea of a breeder for any animal - but you ARE a breeder. And also a very confused individual, it would seem.

People that aren't breeders don't house intact male and female pigs together. Ever. Period.

Keekers

Cavy Slave
I don't know what's near you, but here are some links.

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

I don't think the last two are himis, but does it really matter? According to you, does a small smudge on the nose decide whether a pig will get a home or not?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
And i hate the idea of a breeder for any animal. So if I wanted a breeder pig I wouldn't have to justify anything to anyone cause no one would care. But i don't.

So because you hate the idea of a breeder animal, it means you don't have to justify wanting one? Why would you want one if you hate them?

Also I don't know about you but when my Guinea pigs had babies I didn't force anything, I even broke it up for the first couple months. And sure breeders will. force mating that's horrible it really is.

Guinea pigs will instinctually breed. So just because you didn't hold the female in place for the male to impregnate her doesn't mean you aren't a breeder. Simply intentionally putting an unaltered male and unaltered female together is being a breeder. If you aren't a breeding, what is it that you "broke up for the first couple of months"?

But isn't a pig from anywhere that's going into good hands to be taken care of essentially rescued? I know hen I'm in the pet store I always worry some little brat kid will get one and kill it and move on before I had even found out its name. Adoption is a good process but its just out of reach.

Yes, sometimes pigs from pet stores do go home with irresponsible owners. Know why? Because pet stores don't care who takes their pigs, as long as they have money in hand. Adoption is indeed a good process. Rescues and shelters screen applicants so they know that the pigs are going to good homes. Adoption also is part of the solution to the overpopulation problem whereas pet stores only add to the problem.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.