Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

dwarf hamster won't stop scratching...what do I do?

sara85

Cavy Slave
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]My little dwarf hamster Dylan is scratching and scratching and scratching. He just keeps going as hard as he can until somebody picks him up. He hasn't had any significant hair loss and I don't see anything moving in his fur, though he doesn't really sit still long enough in my hands to tell. I am worried. I cleaned his cage yesterday and that didn't seem to affect the scratching. Is there anything I can do besides watch to see if things worsen?

I know an exotics vet I bring the piggies to--is this a vet-stage issue?

Dylan is a 6-month old male Campbells (at best guess) dwarf hamster.

Thanks.
[/FONT]

Lourdes

Cavy Slave
I have three dwarf hamsters and they clean themselves like crazy. Is that what he's doing? Maybe, he's allergic to the bedding? I use only carefresh or aspen shavings and haven't had a problem so far.

sara85

Cavy Slave
This is different from his cleaning movements...it's definite scratching. I can hear his nails against his skin. He's on carefresh bedding, same as he's been on since I got him about 4 months ago, and same as he was living on before that. He's also started shaking/trembling in a weird, spastic way when I hold him. I thought it was shivering at first from the cold outside the cage but I think it's different....I noticed him doing it in his warm bedding, too.

Lourdes

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed) This site is helpful. It could be fleas,mange, or mites?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I think it's time for your hammie to see the vet.

luvguineapig88

Cavy Slave
I think it's time for your hammie to see the vet.

Sara85, I would take the dwarf hamster to the vet. but he might have dry skin. and that could be the problem? when did his scratching start?:confused:

HeraHero

Cavy Slave
My hamster Cammie was exaclty the same way, except for the shaking, it turned out to be mites for her. Could your hamster have a tumor:?: thats the only thing I can think of that would acount for shaking and scratching but:confused: I don't know. Most definantly time to see the vet. I hope your hamster gets better:( .
HeraHero

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.