Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Floor Time Questions...

AshleyC

Cavy Slave
Okay, here it is. I'm a new pig owner so I haven't a clue what to do on this subject. Currently I only have one.

I'm really busy for about half the day and get really tired around 10 pm so he's in his cage almost all the time (it's a small cage but he's only about a month old) he's also in there while I take my dog for his 1/2 hourish walk. He's only aloud in my bedroom (which is kind of tiny for me) and I have a carpet (plus lots of places he can get stuck in so I have to seal off about a third of what I have). He runs around okay but I think he'll get bored soon.

Should I let him on the floor while I'm away? I'm afraid of him getting stuck and my dog (who chews up cats and chases squirells, sadly it's happened) sneaking down the hallway. As I type, I'm chasing him under the bed and through the closet.

Just got him! Took me twenty minutes!

Also, semi-related question: How cold can their environment be? I was thinking of maybe setting up an outside area for him to crawl around in.

Astrantia

Cavy Slave
Hi again Ashley,

Do not let your guinea pig run free if there is even a remote chance of your dog or other pets having access to him! It only takes that one time.

Also if your piggy has access to cables or getting stuck it's also NOT a good idea.

Is there anyway you could set up a fold away fencing area for your pig? If you look in the floor time photo gallery on the site, that should give you some ideas. The materials need not be expensive.

AshleyC

Cavy Slave
I know. I yell at my dog every time I catch him in the hallway (he's not allowed down there due to a baby). I fence off all the holes and prop up the cables but he always manages to get under my bed and into my closet.

NickeyCole

Cavy Slave
Ouside play isn't the best idea for guinea pigs because they catch colds very easily. You need to keep them out of drafty areas. I think that 65 and 75 degrees F (18 to 24 degrees C) is the ideal temperature range. Be sure to check out guinealynx.com for lots of useful information.

You can get him some toys or hiding places for during floortime. I hang a hand towel over the side of the playpen for my pig to run through or tunnel under and it's his favorite toy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.