Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Should I do this for my pig?

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
My pig is in a 2x4 grids playpen. I put him in it for almost all day, except for at night. I was wondering, should he have his food bowl in there, should I give it to him at certain times, or should I just not give it to him all together?
If this helps, yesterday, he was out from 9AM until 6:30PM. He had his food bowl the entire time.
Thank You

ArtisticRainey

Cavy Slave
I would keep the food bowl in all the time.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Thanks ArtisticRainey.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Yes keep the food bowl in there all of the time. He needs to be continually eating otherwise his system will shut down.

Are you giving him hay?

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
I don't give him alot, but enough for if he wants to eat it, but I check it, and give him some if he needs it, but as I said, I dont give him alot during floor time, but since he has had the grids, I have been giving a little bit more.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
He shouldn't just have his pellet bowl, he should also have hay, and water.

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
He shouldn't just have his pellet bowl, he should also have hay, and water.

lol My pigs don't have a food bowl in floor time, they don't have pellets most of the day either, they get just under 1/8th of a cup each of oxbow pellets each and then they eat it all so from then on they get timothy (oxbox quality) hay and meadow hay. My pigs dont eat a lot of pellets anyways.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
lol My pigs don't have a food bowl in floor time, they don't have pellets most of the day either, they get just under 1/8th of a cup each of oxbow pellets each and then they eat it all so from then on they get timothy (oxbox quality) hay and meadow hay. My pigs dont eat a lot of pellets anyways.

Yes, but her pig is in his floortime pen "almost all day". I think there's a big difference in a couple of hours for playtime and almost all day.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Even before my pig had almost all day floor time, he had water, he has always had his food bowl except for when he was on grass in the summer. The thing is, I don't like to give him alot of hay during floor time because he tends to just stay there and eat it.

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
Yes, but her pig is in his floortime pen "almost all day". I think there's a big difference in a couple of hours for playtime and almost all day.

They were out from 6am-10pm. They get food at 10am eat it then go off somewhere else and leave the food, eat hay drink water popcorn about then go to sleep in a pile of hay in a cozy. :rolleyes:

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
The thing is, I don't like to give him alot of hay during floor time because he tends to just stay there and eat it.

Guinea pigs are constant foragers. Thats what they do. LOL.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
i-love-nev~ The thing is, he won't really exercise because he is eating! I THOUGHT THE POINT OF FLOOR TIME WAS TO EXERCISE, NOT EAT! Is there any thing I can do so that he has hay in there, but he PLAYS AND EXERCISES??

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
He has to have hay ALL of the time.

He will run when he wants to.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.