Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Roan Guinea Pigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mik27rc1

Cavy Slave
Can any body tel lme what are Roan guinea pigs, and what to look out for?
Thank you
Mik

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
That will explain why you need to be very careful never to allow roans or dalmatians to breed with another roan or dalmatian.
If breeding is never done in the first place, this is not a worry. I'm not trying to be mean, rude or anything else but to me, this message is kind of sending the wrong signals, like it's ok to breed but just not roans or dalmations. It all depends on how the reader reads into it. I'm not saying that Lucy Jane intended it that way but just want to clarify- it's never ok to breed any type of pig.

mik27rc1

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your advice,
Reason for asking is we have had piggies for over 3 years and i have only just heard of this roan stuff, so i'm only intersted to further my knowledge of the guinea pig world.
Thank you for answering my questions

Biscuit

Cavy Slave
May I ask what you feed them? I saw a picture of a cute piggy by you eating some odd food I've never seen before.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
I had the same concern about Petey, our roan piggy (may he rest in peace).

So I asked about it on GuineaLynx, and they told me that being a roan pig, in and of itself, is not a problem. It's only if they breed with another roan (or dalmation) pig that can be the cause of lethals being born.

Since we do not breed in any way, shape, or form; that put our minds at ease that we didn't have to worry about Petey having health issues due to being a roan.

LucyJane

Cavy Slave
If breeding is never done in the first place, this is not a worry. I'm not trying to be mean, rude or anything else but to me, this message is kind of sending the wrong signals, like it's ok to breed but just not roans or dalmations. It all depends on how the reader reads into it. I'm not saying that Lucy Jane intended it that way but just want to clarify- it's never ok to breed any type of pig.

You know, I actually did puzzle over the wording of that post. Not enough, obviously, if my meaning still wasn't clear.

No I do not advocate breeding. I am strongly against it, so that we are in understanding. I wouldn't post here if I felt differently. I was simply answering a question by directing OP to a source for information.

mik27rc1

Cavy Slave
Please don't start the breeding morale posts in here, i only wanted to know about roans, as i have never herd of them,my question has been answered and i thank you all for your co-operation.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Please don't start the breeding morale posts in here
I'm sorry but you don't get to dictate to the members like this. If you had stated in your original post that you had no intention of breeding but you just wanted to know what a roan pig was then you would not have gotten many of the breeding responses you got. It's all about wording when on a forum. Sometimes the wording of a post isn't the best it could be and we get confused by either what a person wants to know or why. Usually when these kinds of questions are asked without any type of clarification, it can open a can of worms so to say.

mik27rc1

Cavy Slave
I didnt state i was breeding them, i never herd of roan pigs before, so i just wanted to know what they where.
I am not dictating to any member i only asked not to start the breeding circle of bickering!!
Sorry for asking about anything.
Can you please close this post please mods.

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
I was about to ask why new members sometimes come to the site bearing such hostility toward open discussion... then I read back over some other threads in which members have gotten very nippy at one another over similar topics. So it's almost understandable. Perhaps sometimes we should examine how our "less pretty" discussions appear to newcomers and ensure we are all as polite and respectful as possible.

However, you, mike27rc1, have no reason to become defensive, tell the members of this forum what to do or how to act, or decide when a discussion is over. No one has "bickered" over anything in regards to this thread. If you are unable to engage in a discussion without referring to it as bickering, perhaps the question should not have been asked. You received helpful answers--is that not what you came here for?

mik27rc1

Cavy Slave
i did get help, but i never mentioned breeding, if i wanted to know about breeding and roans, then that would of been my forum title!!!
i just dont like people getting on their high horse about breeding straight away, i came to this site for extra knowledge, not to be talked down to about breeding!!
you will hear no more from me in this topic, i got my answer from lucyjane(thank you very much)

Biscuit

Cavy Slave
If you wanted to know about breeding and roans, then that would have been your forum title? So you go to a forum and make your title whatever your question is? Then why is your username "mik27rc1", instead of "roanquestion?"

Stop telling people what to say, what not to say, and telling mods to lock stuff. You don't get to boss people around.

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
Stop telling people what to say, what not to say, and telling mods to lock stuff. You don't get to boss people around.

And you do?

The OP should have worded her question differently, but it was LucyJane who started this thread in the downhill spiral that it has become by mentioning breeding instead of just giving the definition.

And why can't an OP request for their thread to stay on topic? The topic of this thread was what is a roan and what to look for. OP said they got their answer so why can't she ask that something that has been posted in several dozen other threads not be repeated in this one? And after she stated that she had no intention of breeding, why couldn't that have been the end of it?

Biscuit, the first part of the post I quoted didn't make any sense. She said if she wanted to know about breeding roans she would have titled her forum (THREAD) "Question about breeding roans." Yes you go to a forum and make the title of the thread what your question is. What in the world does that have to do with the user name they chose?

I usually stay out of threads like this but sometimes they just really get my goat.

Can I have my goat back please?

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
Can I have my goat back please?

lol Ha Ha Ha Ha! I am sorry but you are absolutely right!

This has gotten a little out of hand! It was simply a matter of miswording a sentence by the second poster. It should have stopped after Ly pointed out the miswording! Everyone else is just getting a little crazy about the word "Breeding". I am not sure if half the people even read all the posts before they give their two cents worth!

So, there is my two cents for what it is worth!

Biscuit

Cavy Slave
So I bossed people around about bossing people around about bossing people around? I thought they said they would have made their username that. I was confused! The way they went about telling people what to do and telling people to lock stuff was just bossy and rude in tone.

I have PMS. Inappropriate infos.

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
And why can't an OP request for their thread to stay on topic? The topic of this thread was what is a roan and what to look for. OP said they got their answer so why can't she ask that something that has been posted in several dozen other threads not be repeated in this one? And after she stated that she had no intention of breeding, why couldn't that have been the end of it?

That's exactly right. That's what I mean by needing to check our tone of voice and level of politeness/respect. Sometimes members are too quick to jump up on their soapboxes. Even though what they are saying may be very true, it can come across brash if it is completely off-topic. Once it was clarified that the OP had no intention of breeding, the subject should have been dropped. This forum obviously supports open, free discussion and values multiple viewpoints, but each topic has its own place. When the definition of a roan GP is asked for, that is what information the OP should receive--not more defensive (I daresay verging on hostile) lessons on the evils of breeding. He has obviously read these posts about breeding elsewhere on the site, otherwise he himself would not have become defensive.

In no way does that excuse the attitude the OP took up almost immediately, but it is something to think about.

steve_and_pigs

Cavy Slave
When good threads go bad. Might as well add fuel to the fire.

LucyLane's post was certainly breeding neutral if read literally. The thread that was linked to does not have a big "breeding is bad" disclaimer anywhere. (Not LucyLane's fault.) It is an informative thread about the additional badness of a particular type of breeding. It does look like a breeding handbook if taken out of context (and it's a thread on this forum!).

Ly&Pigs post could have mentioned that breeding is bad without any reference to LucyLane's post. I don't think it is every members job to footnote all their posts with the party line. I think it is perfectly reasonable for threads with the word "breeding" in them to have a post from a mod or helpful user to clarify.

Just my opinions. Not telling anybody what to say.

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
And I agree. A simple "but remember, all breeding is bad breeding" should suffice for a thread like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.