Thanks
    Thanks
    35 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dole Pineapple Orange Juice

Can guinea pigs have Dole Pineapple Orange Juice? It claims to be 100% Juice. Here is the ingredients and a picture of the bottle.

Here is the ingredients:

Filtered water, pineapple juice concentrate, apple juice concentrate, orange juice concentrate, natural flavors, absorbic acid (vitamin C), and citrus acid

Thanks
    Thanks
    58 Rec'd/36 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Dole Pineapple Orange Juice

Read the sugar content! There is TOO much natural sugar in fruit. That is why you should only feed fruit (in its natural form) to the piggies once or twice a week.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    421 Rec'd/167 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Concentrate usually has added sugar. All the fruits listed are high in sugar and shouldn't be fed more than occasionally.

Personally I wouldn't bother with juice and just feed the fruits as a very occasional treat.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    35 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow! I wasn't even paying attention to that! There are 25 grams of sugar in every 8 oz! Are there any safe juices I can give my piggie?

Thanks
    Thanks
    89 Rec'd/52 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Concentrate usually has added sugar. All the fruits listed are high in sugar and shouldn't be fed more than occasionally.

Personally I wouldn't bother with juice and just feed the fruits as a very occasional treat.
    I agree 100%. If you are looking for more vit. c for your pigs you can get tablets to feed to them (not the kind that you put in water!) I get them from my vet, so I am not exactly sure where to purchase them..

Edit- No juices are good. Pretty much anything that is bottled, boxed, etc for humans is not good for the pigs. Stick to veggies and the occasional fruit.

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,248 Rec'd/1,910 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

If you could find an all natural, unsweetened cranberry juice from a health food store that would be suitable to give the pigs as an occasional treat in small amounts. Cranberry juice can help to prevent UTI's and help clear the bladder. Pretty much any type of cranberry juices found in the supermarket are not healthy enough for cavies.

If one were to find it in a health food store, then dilute it down to about 2 parts water and one part juice in a small 8oz. water bottle as a once per week to once every other week treat.

I used to do this weekly with my girls, but the brand I used is no longer carried locally and I can't find anything suitable now. Don't ask me the name of the brand because I don't remember, it's been a good year and a half to two years since I've given it.

Thanks
    Thanks
    89 Rec'd/52 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If you could find an all natural, unsweetened cranberry juice from a health food store that would be suitable to give the pigs as an occasional treat in small amounts. Cranberry juice can help to prevent UTI's and help clear the bladder. Pretty much any type of cranberry juices found in the supermarket are not healthy enough for cavies.
    Wouldn't regular cranberry work the same, or better?

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,248 Rec'd/1,910 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Regular cranberry juice would work the same but remember like this Dole juice, regular cranberry juice would have too much sugar and too many preservatives in it. That's why you need all natural, unsweetened cranberry juice.

Also instead of the cranberry juice, you could give each pig a whole cranberry or two cut in half for easier eating each week and that would do the same thing.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    193 Rec'd/127 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ly&Pigs View Post

If one were to find it in a health food store, then dilute it down to about 2 parts water and one part juice in a small 8oz. water bottle as a once per week to once every other week treat.

I used to do this weekly with my girls, but the brand I used is no longer carried locally and I can't find anything suitable now. Don't ask me the name of the brand because I don't remember, it's been a good year and a half to two years since I've given it.
    Thanks for this, I never knew! Could I give it as a "cleaner" during the QT whenever I acquire a new foster? [just once or twice during the QT process]

User Tag List