So, as some of you already know, I'm adopting a new piggy named York.
York's current owner tells me that the pet store she got him from said his loud, abnormal breathing is allergies. She hasn't taken him to the vet, but she has had him for about 6 months--this leads me to believe that it probably isn't a URI (though I'm taking him to the vet first thing anyway).
My question is if it turns out York actually does have allergies, how do I go about treating him and alleviating the suffering of it? Do allergies in GPs cause any other problems or shorten their lifespans?
Any advice you may have would be very useful, because I know nothing about GP allergies--in fact, I didn't even know GPs could have allergies! I've searched the web for info on this topic, but the only sites I can find deal with people who are allergic to GPs. I know it's not good to take in a special needs GP without knowing upfront how to properly care for him--that's why I'm asking you guys before I go get him.
Thanks for any help you guys can provide!