Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How often? Please help!

chexxy

Cavy Slave
Now that the boys have a big cage...
They are 2 males in a cage that is, its hard to describe. It is a 3x4, but added on is a 2x1, bottm and a 2x1 ramp. There is lots of space for laps and popcorns. But, how often do I neeed floortime since there cage is now bigger? It is a pain because I let them have my whole room, but they only use a small area, and there cage is atleast 1/4 if not more then my room. So, they dotn get much exersice, and after 5 minutes just sit down. I put down newspaper on lots of it, but they sit in there pee/poop and not only make them smell, but my room stinks! So how often? This is only until June, when my brother goes off to college in Indianna. Nice and far away, everyone is excited to see him leave, and me especially because my mom already said I could set up a floor time thing in his room. Then, I cam just put a sheet over a tarp and ther,e permanent floor time I can just put them in, come back and take them out. So this is just until then!

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
I was given a response to one of my posts answering almost the same question. You should definetley be giving them floor time no matter how big the cage is. (To let them explore beyond their own cage.) My pig gets between 3-4 hours every day. Personally, I would say about 1.5 hours per day at the least.

chexxy

Cavy Slave
Wow. Ok. Gr. I have to think of a better way. It is so hard right now!
Got any tips to make it easy to clean up and stuff? 1.5 is all they can have definatly! Especially now because a couple times a week I am starting to train a pony for this girl, and I am training mine to jump, and all the other pets. I guess they could have from 8 to 9:45. is that enough? I feel bad :sad: .

Last edited:
pgpsm
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

I<3MyBabies

Cavy Slave
Don' feel bad.

You do what you can do, and that's all anyone CAN do.

I know so many people here wish that everyone had their entire lives to dedicate to their animals. And believe me, if I didn't have to work and go to school, that is exactly what I'd be doing. But when you have 4 piggies and 4 ratties who all need your attention, I'm sorry, but they can't both get 3 or 4 hours a day.

So, what I'm saying is, I think 3-4 hours is kind of exhorbitant. These are pets, not wild animals. They would enjoy the time, yes. But in reality, you can't supervise them for that long during the day. We all have lives, and some of us aren't home for that long during the day.

I have 2 hours in the afternoon and a few in the evening. That's to do EVERYTHING for the day. So, the animals get an hour or so. Sometimes its free-range time, sometimes its just a little "love time" or lap time. Either way, just don't feel bad. Do the best you can and love them. That's all they ever ask of us.

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
I'm sure some people will say this is inadequate, but our guys only get about an hour once or twice a week. Since all they do during this time is hide (they rarely explore or run around or anything) it doesn't seem so important to me that this is what I would prioritize. They get held/cuddled individually every day.

If they get bolder and start exploring or seeming to enjoy their floor time, then we'd make a point of doing it more often.

I honestly think that if you have your piggies in an adequate cage, floor time is not a top priority.

You have a great cage, 2 piggies, good pellets, hay and veggies, and you obviously love your piggies. I don't think you should beat yourself up over not giving them more floor time.

SusanneC

Cavy Slave
Most of my Groups can decide for themselves if they want to go outside their cage or not. The group on the ground can jump out by themselves, the ones on upper levels can decide if they want to go in a transporter for beeing brought out - they are trained for this proceedure.

They get the possobility for floor time every day, but most prefer staying in their cages. I started this at the point from changing from normal pet owner to a rescue - there just are too much piggies in seven different groups, if every group would only get one hour this would mean too much time.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Phoenix Feather. I can see why you would say they should only get floor time once or twice a week. They should get floor time as much as possible! It is not only a time for them to get exercise, but it is also a time for them to explore a new environment outside of thier cage!:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.