Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Floortime Idea!

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I was in my basement looking for a piece of wood for a gate for my hamster, and it hit me. This could be one amazing foortime set-up. There is a very large open area, its like 12ft by 14 ft (its supposed to be a bedroom) and it has another area attached to it that like 5ft by 5ft (suppossed to be a closet), the only problem is that there are no complete walls around it, as its not completely finished it is just "framed in", so I'd have to come up with some sorta gate to put around it, but It would be pretty easy since 2 of the walls are the outside ones and have drywall on them. Well anyways I wanna make it into a huge floortime setup. I would obviously make it pig safe and I would cover the concrete with blankets, but I am wanting suggestions on what to put in the space. What are you piggys favorite toys? I have tunnels, hideys, a box filled with shredded paper, and cozys already. But do you have any other ideas as to what to put in it. I have tons of wood and other building materials (my dad is a contractor) and I also have tons (literally hundreds maybe even a thousand) of boxes, all different sizes from shoeboxes to huge 3ft by 3ft by 5 ft boxes. I also have tons of hay (most a a full square bale) and any ideas of how to make it into something fun. Also, I know that its not good to house Guinea Pig in an unfinished basement, but it is okay for floortime, right? It is a walkout so there are 2 full sized windows in the future floortime space and a few others near it. The only problem is that it isn't heated...?
Ideas/Questions/comments/concerns are needed and very welcome :)

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
If it is only going to be for a few hours each day, I would say it would be alright. Although, I defiantly recommend getting a small space heater to heat it up each time before you let them down there. Towels + Fleece would be an easy clean up solution. Get a BIN or two and connect them (drill holes and add 6in pvc between) to make a really awesome hay filled maze; my pigs LOVE that. Make sure to add a thin layer of carefresh at the bottom, it makes it easier to clean out.

ETA:

I have tons of wood and other building materials (my dad is a contractor) and I also have tons (literally hundreds maybe even a thousand) of boxes, all different sizes from shoeboxes to huge 3ft by 3ft by 5 ft boxes.

OH! :eek: Can I come over and 'borrow' some wood? It took me $200 to buy 2 pieces of plywood + some 2x4's and 1x10's to build my cage! I really need to start dating someone in the lumber industry. :crazy:

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Slave
...a bit of an update: I started putting it all together, I put down a bunch of old blankets and put a fence around the open spots and added a bunch of toys I havent let the piggys down there yet though. Here are some pics of it now, its still pretty bare, I did make some toys and stuff though.
SANY0002.jpg

^Full view
SANY0010.jpg

^ another view
SANY0011.jpg

^ I made a giant hayrack out of the wire part of an "extra large" petstore cage, I'm gonna fill it with a buch more hay when the piggys go down there but I didnt feel like going outside in the dark and cold to get it when I was putting it all together
SANY0009.jpg

^ I took a bunch of the cats toys (some of which they took back Lol )
SANY0006.jpg

^some hideys and a couch

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Slave
SANY0004.jpg

^ some of the other toys and stuff I put in there
SANY0005.jpg

^a blankie for Charlie

Any Ideas for more toys? I think it still seems pretty bare :)

Oh ya, and that computer isnt plugged in so it isnt a danger, I was gonna move it but it was really heavy

I<3MyBabies

Cavy Slave
Looks awesome, Jenni!

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
:eek: Can I move in? Pretty please? That is SO awesome! I would love to have something like that to let my pigs run around in. They are getting jealous just from looking at the pictures. ;)

The only thing I could think to add.. You could make 2 grids holding one parallel from the ground (like how you made the giant hayrack) and hang some bells/bird toys. My pigs LOVE those.

-squishes kitty- Kitty looks so huggable! What is his/her name?

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Slave
The cat in the picture is Angel, there is also my other cat who was "helping" me set it up is Hankie Pankie but I'm not sure where he was when I was taking the pictures. I think that they are gonna have a lot of fun there too lol

socal805

Cavy Slave
Looks like a piggy heaven! I love the cat checking it out too!

chexxy

Cavy Slave
Crumpled news paper, and ripped up paper towels, and bags stuffed with hay. Some of mguys fave. things! Infact, tommorow I am going to take a cardbord box, put ripped up paper towels in it and give it to my guys!

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
I saw where you had a section of pvc pipe in one of your pictures. I went to my local Lowe's and they have the large sections of pvc pipes that are 9 feet long with small holes evenly spaced down the length. I had one of the guys working there to cut it in 3 foot sections. It was easy to get home and my boys love running thru it. Plus sometimes they'll just sit in it, and I don't worry because there is the air holes it came with. I also found a large popcorn tin like you can buy at Christmas time. I took lid off and set it on it's side and wedged it where it can't roll and the boys love climbing in it being nosy.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
I saw a big box of shredded paper in one of your pics. Is this safe for the piggies? I have a shredder and I was thinking of doing the same thing but I didn't know if it was safe for them.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Slave
I saw a big box of shredded paper in one of your pics. Is this safe for the piggies? I have a shredder and I was thinking of doing the same thing but I didn't know if it was safe for them.

Ya, its safe for them. As long as they dont eat very much of it.

gpigluver14

Cavy Slave
Looks fantastic! My pig told me she really wants to come over.

And I see that your water bottle leaks, what you can do is put a dish or a brick underneath to catch the drips.

As for toys, everything that have already looks fine. All you really need is lots of hidys and the pigs will go crazy. You could use soda cans boxes to make tunnels, shoe boxes for hidys, and pile up fleece and/or towels for them to play in, etc. Just be creative! Let us know how the pigs like it when everything's finished.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.