Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What to do with cold floors?

lizo72

Cavy Slave
Well, there have been several threats about keeping piggies warm during the winter in the About Guinea Pigs section. But how do you keep your piggies warm when they are having floor time? Since I noticed the floor gets a bit cold at night and even in the day at times. I know probably having some blankets and fleece would help a lot, but what are some other things you guys do to keep your pigs warm and comfy during floor time in the winter?

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Well, my pigs are free range so they always have floor time, but my room is carpet. They never really leave my room because they dont like to walk on the wood floors through the hall and living room, but after they get to the kitchen they like to hang out on the 'dog bed' which is basically an old king sized comforter folded in half, in the middle of the kitchen, well actually its where our bar stools are supposed to be lol well any ways we have an older arthertic dog who lays there instead of the tile, since she cant get up from the tile, and my smaller dog like to lay on it cause its warm and the piggys like it too since its warm and soft to play on and its big enough for lap running and popcorns. So I would either reccomend using a comforter like that or giving them floortime on carpet, or towels would work too, maybe even newspaper or a tarp?

Last edited:

steve_and_pigs

Cavy Slave
I was keeping some piggies in my second bathroom, and it became obvious that the tile was way too cold. We put down towels and fleece, but it was still too cold.

I ended up getting some foam tiles from the hardware store. They are often called "anti-fatigue" pads. They come in sets of interlocking squares. They are waterproof, and they insulate very well. you can put whatever you want on top of them (towels, blankets, fleece, etc). It will cost you a bit ($50), but it will definitely be warm.

Of course, they will only be as warm as the air temperature in the room. Be sure to heat the playroom. My piggies seem comfortable at 67 degrees f.

Whatever you come up with, test it by standing on it with bare feet for a while (at least a few minutes). If your feet are cold, your piggies are cold.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.