Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Can Pigs eat wheat?

• Thread starter sparkyisnumber1
  • Start date

sparkyisnumber1

Cavy Slave
Can i give my piggies wheat? I was just wondering because i saw these treats at Petco and they were wheaties with fruit filling. Is it safe for them?

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
I wouldnt feed my pigs any petstore treats, Just a few extra veggies and once a week give them a bit of fruit and thats pretty much enough to keep them happy!

sparkyisnumber1

Cavy Slave
But if i were to buy wheat is it safe for them?

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Wheat is a grain, or isnt it? Well if it is they cannot have it, no grains, no breads etc. they cannot digest them.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
No, don't buy them. Cavies have a harder time digesting grains. The filling is probably also very sugary and sweet and they don't need processed fruit fillings (jams, jellies are on the do not feed list). Please just give fresh fruits and veggies to your pigs.

longboardskier

Cavy Slave
Yeah an extra head of green-leaf lettuce is probably cheaper anyways :)

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
No, don't buy them. Cavies have a harder time digesting grains. <...> Please just give fresh fruits and veggies to your pigs.

I'm pretty sure I read here that wheat grass is ok I was going to make it via sprouting but then the seed (wheat) would still be attached. Do you have to trim it to feed it to a piggy?

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
I got a packet of wheat grass seeds, within 10 days they were grown to their full length. I figured that I had one of 2 choices:
1. Cut off the top of the blades, leaving the bottom and the seed to continue growing - if that makes sence.
2. Totally pull out as many grass blades as I needed and cut off the seed.

So to answer your question, I wouldnt feed them the seeds although I hope other members chuck in their 2 cents as well, as I am interested in their opinions.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Wheat grass can be fed. It's a variety of grass. The seeds should not be fed as piggies can choke on seeds. Grain hays can be fed but not everyday and in moderation.

When I talk about grain products, these are usually processed types of things. To me, what sparky is talking about reminds me of a shredded wheat type cereal with filling. That sort of thing is not good for cavies.

Biscuit

Cavy Slave
W
When I talk about grain products, these are usually processed types of things. To me, what sparky is talking about reminds me of a shredded wheat type cereal with filling. That sort of thing is not good for cavies.

I agree. In my opinion we should always ask ourselves why we even want to feed certain things. If a treat of fruit or a bit of a favorite hay other than timothy gets them equally excited, why take the risk of an unknown like a pet store treat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.