Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Baking soda.... Safe?

ortal

Cavy Slave
I was reading up on cleaning with baking soda, and it said its safe for pets, I was wondering if I can use this to clean my cage. Vinegar and water doesnt seem to be doing much for removing pee-stains on the walls of the coroplast, I need to find something else.

pinkpiggy

Cavy Slave
Re: Baking soda...safe?

I use vinegar and water to clean my cages during my weekly cleanings. However, I, too noticed that it doesn't always seem to help with the stains from urine on the coroplast. Since then I've continued to do weekly cleanings with the vinegar and water and then once a month I do a more thorough cleaning that includes using baking soda. After doing this for years, I have noticed no ill effects.

Before I began using the baking soda, I asked the advice of my cavy savvy vet. They said that they've never heard of an instance that proved baking soda to be dangerous, but cautioned me to rinse well and let it sit out for a while before returning my pigs to their cage. This has worked well and my guinea pigs certainly don't mind having the extra floor time.

It hasn't worked miracles, but I do see a difference after cleaning. After about a year, though, I do purchase new coroplast. But it has helped maintain the coroplast longer in the meantime - at least in my opinion.

ortal

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much =) I actually did a search before posting this and came up with nothing, but it was a site search. Once I did a forum search I got some more results.

I cleaned it with water/vinegar and water first, Then sprinkled on bakeing soda, let it sit, and sprayed it with water/vinegar and scrubbed it. I definetly see a difference, especially in the sides of the cage. The pigs will be in their floor time setup untill tommorrow anyways, so there is plenty of time for the cage to air out.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I use nothing but vinegar/water on my cages. If you use straight vinegar and a scrubber, the pee will lift right off. You may need to let the vinegar sit a couple minutes on really tough stains. Vinegar is one of the best cleaners you can use because it's natural and contains anti-bacterial properties. I've started using it on other areas of my home instead of store bought cleaners full of chemicals.

ctinaw

Cavy Slave
I use nothing but vinegar/water on my cages. If you use straight vinegar and a scrubber, the pee will lift right off. You may need to let the vinegar sit a couple minutes on really tough stains. Vinegar is one of the best cleaners you can use because it's natural and contains anti-bacterial properties. I've started using it on other areas of my home instead of store bought cleaners full of chemicals.

I've been using vinegar and water on the guinea cage but OH BOY does that stuff stink! It smells up the whole room. I'd honestly rather smell a dirty cage than vinegar. Is there anything else anyone has tried or that would be safe and effective?

I bought something for my kitchen the other day that seems like it might be ok to use in the piggie cage... has anyone looked into Clorox Anywhere Hard Surface Cleaner. It's new.

Here is the ad copy from their website:

"Clorox® Anywhere® Hard Surface™ daily sanitizing spray is a convenient way to sanitize. It's gentle enough to use on hard, nonporous surfaces around kids and food, yet powerful enough to kill 99.9% of common household bacteria, E. coli, Salmonella, Staphylococcus (Staph) and Streptococcus (Strep.)*.

*when used as directed on hard, nonporous surfaces.
Plus, since it has no harsh fumes and leaves no harmful residue, it needs no wiping or rinsing. It's the perfect daily sanitizing spray to use all over your home, anytime you need it.
Highlights

• Gentle enough to use around kids and food*
  • Kills 99.9% of bacteria: E. coli, Salmonella, Staphylococcus (Staph.) and Streptococcus (Strep.)*
  • Leaves no harmful chemical residue
*when used as directed, on hard nonporous surfaces."

I used some on the counter today and it really has very little odor - extremely light and not overpowering or "cleaner" smelling in the least.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.