Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

orange pee?

ctinaw

Cavy Slave
Just curious - would orange tinged pee be considered bloody or is that normal for pee to dry to a light orangish color? On their white carefresh in the litter box I've noticed the pee places are orange and the big circle in the middle of the cage (I can see it clearly when I take the towels out - happens to be under their hideys) is always orange tinted. Note - it's not just "spots" but the whole area of pee is always orange tinted.

Fluffy_Guinea

Cavy Slave
No I don't think so, pee sometimes turns in orange color if there's blood in your pig's pee it would be a red or pinkish if diluted. Blood also dries a brownish color. GL is a great place to look if you suspect your pig is ill here is a link there if you haven't been there before.

Guinea Lynx :: Medical Guide

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Does it still come out white and then turn orange or are they peeing orange? Also what have you fed them the past few days? Some veggies will change the color of some pigs urine. If it's changing after it interacts with the air and dries then it's not blood. Also if you've fed them anything new and there are no other symptoms I'd wait a couple days while feeding them more usual veggies and see if it goes away. If it comes out orange while they are peeing, they haven't eaten anything odd, or they have any other symptoms at all you should go to a vet and have a urine sample checked for blood.

ctinaw

Cavy Slave
No, I don't believe it's orange *when* they are peeing as during floor time there are no orange spots on the towels. It seems to turn orange? I didn't know if that indicated something wrong.

They don't really eat anything that would turn their pee orange. They have some petite baby carrots - about 2 per night (these are smaller than regular baby carrots) but I don't think that would do it. Otherwise it's usually all green things like lettuce, peppers, cucumber, zucchini.

ctinaw

Cavy Slave
Whew - I just found this on guinea lynx:

"Very young guinea pigs often have an orange or brown tint to their urine. Urine sometimes changes to an orange color on standing (this may be the oxidation of porphyrins in the urine). "

Mine are pretty young still so I guess this is probably all it is. Thanks guys! I was a little concerned.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Food doesn't have to be colored to turn their urine a different color. Blackberries can cause a red tint if the urine is acidic enough or rhubarb can cause the same if the urine is really alkaline. Anything with alot of vit c fed in excess can cause dark yellow to orangish urine. From experience I can also tell you excess b vitamins in humans can cause not only orange urine but slightly green as well. Low water intake and dehydration will cause more concentrated and therefore darker yellow to orange urine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.