Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Do guinea pigs get worms?

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
I've just been reading on another forum. They strongly recommend worming guinea pigs every 3 months. I never heard this before and theres nothing about it on Guinealynx. Has anyone else heard this advice before?

AmberEyedPiggy

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I read that forum too...I never heard of that, but I did a research and this is what I found out.
The symptom that there could be a problem is when a piggy eats very well, or even more than usual, but is loosing weight.
You don't have to do it every 3 months, every 6 months are also fine...You have to use Ivormec (Ivermectin) dose, it treats mites as well...It is a syrup I think...
Hope that helps!!I personaly don't do that, I don't think it's needed...

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Ivermectin is not a syrup. It's either in a liquid injectable form or a paste that has to be mixed up before dosing. Please know what you are talking about before replying on these types of threads. One piece of false or bad advice can have the potential to harm, even kill a pig.

I've not heard of guinea pigs getting worms either. I think it some type of myth. They don't need de-wormed at all. If they have mites though, they do need to be treated for those.

John4216

Cavy Slave
Besides ringworms which they can and do get, they are probably getting their information from somewhere like this:

(broken link removed)

aqh88

Cavy Slave
To get most internal parasites the animals(or humans) have to ingest food that has been contaminated by feces containing the parasites. That means if your pigs are kept inside chances are near impossible they will get worms. Pigs kept outdoors are at a higher risk and pigs that eat grass near areas with animal waste are highly at risk. For most people it's not an issue but I do deworm mine about once a year because I let them run around the horse stalls(cleaned but still more risk) and eat grass fairly close to the horse pasture.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Gps can get worms but it is rare unless they are kept in really poor conditions. Oral ivermec will take care of internal parasites, if there are any but you don't need to regularly "worm" your guinea pigs in general.

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
pigs that eat grass near areas with animal waste are highly at risk.
I never thought about this. Now I'm wondering if its ok to let my pigs graze in the garden as cats occasionally wander in and poo there. Will washing cut grass stop the pigs getting worms from it?

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Hmm wow I have never heard of guineapigs getting worms. I never knew that really.

Alusdra

Cavy Slave
I don't think washing the grass would get rid of the worm eggs. They tend to have coatings that prevent them from falling off with just water. I don't know if the parasites of the cat would be transferable to the cavy. If you're concerned, when you take the guinea pig in for a routine check-up, have the vet do a fecal. They usually are pretty inexpensive.

FYI- ringworm is a fungus.lol

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I never thought about this. Now I'm wondering if its ok to let my pigs graze in the garden as cats occasionally wander in and poo there. Will washing cut grass stop the pigs getting worms from it?

If animals have defecated there, it isn't that safe. The waste goes into the ground and touches deeper than you can wash off.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I'd be more worried about bacteria from cat feces than parasites. Also other illnesses if you don't know who the cats belong to and whether they are healthy. I'd try to find a cleaner area or if you really want to give them clean grass fence off an area uphill with mesh to keep the cats off it and pick the grass from there. Rain washes things downhill so you want to pick an area above the run off.

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
Its very rare that I do see cat poo. If it is dangerous though then maybe it isn't safe to let pigs graze outside at all. Seeing as cats climb, they could go in any garden, anytime. Fencing it off completely with mesh is a good idea.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I asked my old vet about it a couple of years ago, and she said there's no point if you don't put them out to eat grass and if you don't feed lots of unwashed veggies.

I never thought about the uphill area to fence off, but it makes sense now. Thanks aqh!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.