Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Guinea Pig intelligence

mlbarry

Cavy Slave
I was just wondering how intelligent Guinea Pigs were. Can they learn their name and come when called? Could you compare them to the intelligence of a cat or maybe a hamster instead?

I am not an owner as of yet! Just trying to be informed! Good news though, I did find a local rescue shelter near my house!

Access

Cavy Slave
Slightly more intelligent than an average cat. Pigs have excellent memory and pathing ability. Very habitual. Otherwise each pig's personality is unique.

Good thing about the rescue shelter, so many people are mis-informed and get a pig from a pet store.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
My pigs know their names. I call them when I have a special treat for them and they pop out of their hiding place to come get it. They know my voice too. And the sound of a plastic bag. Any plastic rustling and they start screaming, demanding their goodies.

Definatly smarter than a hamster. I read that they only have like a 30 sec memory span or something like that.

CaliGirl

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig doesnt remember his name, but he does remember sounds. When ever he hears someone opening the frig he thinks he is getting some lettuce or something. Its so funny watching him jump around with joy, and I cant not give him lettuce after he gets so excited about it.

Loveheart

Cavy Slave
my guinea pig doesnt know its name but i think its intelligent as it will stay in its igloo and move it around to go near its food as its shy :D my first every guinea pig was funny i fell asleep on bed with her in my arms and i woke up and there was a poo trail all around my bed but she was still in my arms i think she thought i wouldnt realise it was her if she was in my arms hahaha

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
ha thats funny. I got too many to try call them by their names but when they hear my voice or a bag rustling they start wheeking, whistling, and popcorning all at the sametime.

CaliGirl

Cavy Slave
Loveheart said:
it will stay in its igloo and move it around to go near its food as its shy :D
My guinea pig did that too when I first got him, it was so funny! :)

Loveheart

Cavy Slave
its a turtle pig :)

alhadie

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't say a guinea pig is smarter than a cat... I have had them learn to come to their name and maybe 1 or 2 vocal commands but in scientific study on rodents their intelligence was decided to be slightly less than a rat which is the smartest rodent.

stacyandpigz

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs know the sound of my voice and the one even knows his name. He doesn't "come" to it like a dog, but if I say his name he'll start whistling and wheeking. It's funny, every morning when we come downstairs they'll be completely silent. Then I say "good morning piggies!" and they start going crazy. I think they are a lot more intelligent than most people say they are.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
I think some guinea pigs are pretty smart. I had one that could recognise his name. I could let him loose for floor time & if I called his name he would come over to me.

When I would come home from school I would just have to walk through the front door, say hello to my mom & he would start wheeking from all the way upstairs.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
My pig Salem does the pigloo thing! He moves it around so he wont have to leave his hiding place. Its hilarious to watch.

Faunn
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Faunn
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.