Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fatty Lipomas

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
I have recently received word from my vet that the pea-sized cyst we found on Maya during her last visit is a benign fatty tumor, apparently called a "lipoma." It is fairly small and is not tightly attached the the body, and doesn't seem to be causing any pain. Guinea Lynx states that lipomas are thought to be hereditary (Guinea Lynx :: Lipoma) and shouldn't be a huge concern. Maya is my recently adopted 4-year-old piggy, and she is by far the fattest piggy out of the herd weighing in at a very squishy 2.25 lbs. Her behavior is normal and quite lively- she's the queen piggy so she bosses everyone around, especially my neutered boy when he starts pestering her. She also is one of the biggest veggie eaters and has been eating a much wider range of veggies now than she was when I first brought her home.

I wouldn't be overly worried, except that I have been finding larger and more irregular-shaped poops in the cage lately. I am not certain that they are all coming from her since I have nine other piggies, but I have witnessed her poop them out once or twice. There aren't that many of them, but at least two or three a day. Some have a teardrop shape, which I know can be indicative of dehydration. She drinks plenty of water, though, and gets a generous helping of wet veggies every day.

I am just wondering if I need to take her in to the vet again, or if there is anything else I can do for her?

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
Our Ruby had a fatty cyst on her side about 7-8 months ago. It got smaller and disappeared over a couple of months.

We trim the nails of our neighbor's guinea pigs once a month. One of their boars had a lipoma on his side that also went away over a couple of months.

You need to keep an eye on the lump to make sure it's not getting any larger.

As far as the abnormal poos, take her out alone for extended floor and/or lap time, until she gives you some good samples, to check her poos and make sure the abnormal ones are hers.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
That would be great if it goes away! I didn't realize they could do that. I just adopted her recently, and before that she was at a shelter for several months, and before that who knows where! I'm certain she wasn't getting proper care or exercise during that time, so I'm hoping that she will become healthier in her new environment. I have been checking the lump daily and haven't been able to distinguish any changes yet.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
The first time I read/heard about them was on Peter Gurney's website. He called them "jelly beans".

Like I said, just check it daily to make sure it's not getting any larger. If if does, a vet visit is in order.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.