Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

long haired abyssinian?

new2piggies

Cavy Slave
This is Papaya and Coconut. We have had them for about 5 weeks. This first picture is within the first week, and the second one is from this week. Both girls have longer fur than most abyssinians I have seen, and Papaya's is getting noticeably longer. I think maybe they have a long-haired piggie in their family treee. Does anyone else have an abyssinian with long fur? I am wondering if we are going to eventually need to trim her fur like you do for a long haired piggie.

Fay

Cavy Slave
You have Abyruvians probably. My Wookiee looks sort of like that as well. She doesn't have clear rosette's like an abyssinian and has longer and straighter hair at the back. So I'm guessing Wookiee is a mix with a peruvian. Which is usually called Abyruvian. It could very well be that your pigs are long haired guinea pigs but we're trimmed.

Leia had short hair when she was a baby:

But turned out to be a Peruvian:

I'd say let the hair grow and you will see with time :) (don't let it overgrow though, keep trimming the bum and edges).

Last edited:

AJismypiggy

Cavy Slave
I think AJ might have mix in him. His hair near his bum is long. (I will upload pigtures soon.)

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
I have one pig that was thought to be abby when he was a baby, then possibly an abruvian as he got older, but his hair is so long with no rosettes I think he must be mostly peruvian.

Another pig of mine came to me as an abby, but he has some peruvian mixed in him somewhere down the line as he has this ring of hair near his rump that grows so long it drags behind him.

Then there is my two sows. They are abby's but their hair does something really strange along with the seasons. In the winter their rosettes grow out pretty long where they fold over and hang. In the summer they seem to lose that long hair and their rosettes go back to being short whirlys all over their body.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
They aren't abbys then. They are likely mixes.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I can't see clear signs of Aby in the second pic, but the first does a little. I was thinking along the lines of a curly and long-haired mix, something like teddy mixed with a long-haired. His hair looks more soft curly, rather than coarse. Definitely a mixture with a long haired there.

new2piggies

Cavy Slave
From the information all of you have given me, I think they both must be Abyruvian. The Peruvian seems to be more pronounced in Papaya than in Coconut, but they both have hair longer than most Abyssinians I have seen. Papaya's hair does not seen to be curly at all when you feel her. She actually has the softest fur I have ever felt on any animal. It is like petting a kitten!

new2piggies

Cavy Slave
I tried to add this by editing my last entry, but I couldn't get the picture to insert...
I had begun to feel guilty because Papaya was getting all the attention in this thread. Coconut is just as cute. Here is her pigture, too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.