Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What is safe to use to stop quick from bleeding?

new2piggies

Cavy Slave
In various posts, I have read to use Quick Stop, baking soda, flour, and something from the men's shaving section to stop bleeding nail quicks. What is the safest? I have looked for Quick Stop, but the only product I find is listed as being for dogs, cats, and birds. Is it safe for guinea pigs? We are going to be cutting our piggies nails for the first time and want something on hand *just in case*. The vet showed me how, but I am nervous!

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
The Quick stop for dogs, cats and birds is fine to use on GP and any small animals.

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
I just just plain old corn starch. Works fine and is cheap. :)

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Corn starch, flour, Quik Stop, and a styptic pencil (the men's shaving thing you were talking about are all fine. A small container of corn starch or flour is probably the cheapest and easiest solution.

Lakota

Cavy Slave
Flour and corn stratch work great if you quick a nail and don't have anything else. Just keep in mind using either can be messy and may take a few minutes to work. Also remeber to wash the nail before applying anything-- you don't want bacteria entering the wound and gaining entry to the blood stream. Apply pressure with a cottonball or some gauze too until the bleeding stops.

It's safe to use Quick Stop on guinea pigs. It's just a blood clotter. It works much faster than flour or corn stratch to stop bleeding.... though that might only be true with dogs and their larger nails. ;) The only animals where there is some concern is birds, esp. raptors. Depending on what form of it you get, it can be equally as messy as flour or corn stratch.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.