Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't let me pick her up

MissBubu

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig Piggee just refuses to be picked up, and hates it when I try and pet her. She just doesn't like being touched. I thought maybe working with her every day, trying to hold her and pet her might get her accustomed to it, but today was a disaster. I had her on my floor in a play pen and when I went to pick her up, she slipped out of my grasp and used my hands as a launch pad to jump right out of the playpen! Luckily she landed her food box and I was able to quickly grab her and put her back in, but man, after that I don't think she'll let me touch her AT ALL. I thought I hurt her too, because she went immediatly layed down in her cage and seemed to not be moving her back legs much. I think she's okay though, she's been acting normal since then. She is still laying down though, but perhaps I just wore her out. But the poor thing, I want so badly to cuddle with her and just make her feel safe and instead I ended up straddling her and basically dropping her back in the play pen. I feel so bad :(

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
seemed to not be moving her back legs much.
If she is having trouble with her back legs, all is not normal. How far did she fall? She could be injured.

MissBubu

Cavy Slave
No she's moving just fine now, I think she was just stunned. It wasn't a far fall, maybe 6 inches, onto carpet.

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
Piggies that don't like to be petted or touched could have mites. Mites can be painful for them and that is why they don't like to be touched or petted. Does your piggy scratch alot or squeel when petted?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
How old is she? Babies usually don't like to sit still. GPs are prey animals and they are wired to run.

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
If they are young and not used to being handled they can react that way. Being that they are prey animals they don't like anything coming down on them from above. It can scare them and send them running.

pignewton

Cavy Slave
I think you should treat for mites - my piggies would not cuddle until I got rid of their buggies.

Marina_7

Cavy Slave
Overall, you need to be really patient. Try not picking her up for awhile, and just talk to her alot. Whenever you feed her, call her name and talk baby in a nice, sweet voice. Animals respond well to a kind tone.
Will my pigs, I found what really helped me bond with them, was talking to them regulary (staying hello when I come through my apartment door) and making time out of their cage fun and exciting (ie let them on the couch, outside on the balcony etc.) Now, they wheek whenever they hear my voice- it is so cute!

Also, some pigs are just naturally not very cuddly. Both of my pigs are not that into being held and petted. They like to hang out on the couch with me but are not that keen on being petted. Lula aka "Littleone" likes to be brushed gently though, and will settle in my lap.
Try to find out what her dislikes and likes are. Take note and respect the "BRRRRR" noise. And be really patient and destressed- animals can sense your emotions.
Good luck with your piggy!

mommyoffive

Cavy Slave
I think you should treat for mites - my piggies would not cuddle until I got rid of their buggies.

I have been told by two vets now, that you should not treat mites unless you know they are absoulutly there.

MissBubu

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the replies!

I still may take her to the vet (I work at Petsmart and we have a vet in the store, so it's easy to get her to one), maybe just to have an overall check of her health. And I plan on mentioning how she flips out when I touch her.

Yesterday when I was at work I got to medicate some pigs and I was actually able to hold one without it struggling to get away. I was thinking "wow, I wish Piggee were like this" lol!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.