Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reference Can I feed my guinea pigs fresh grass, dandelions, and other forages?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Is there any benefit to feeding grass?
Absolutely. They get vitamins and minerals from it. Forages should be a part of all pigs' diets. Fresh grass is one of the best forages out there. The reason we feed grass hay is because finding large amounts of long strands of fresh grass all year long is an improbability for most people.

werevamper

Cavy Slave
Does anybody know what this kind of flower is? It's purple with a white middle, only grows to about an inch, has five petals, and is found growing near dandelions. I live in south eastern MN. I want to put my pigs outside and don't want them to eat a potentially poisonous flower. It might be a weed too, I'm not sure.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
I'm glad they can eat dandelions.....I have a ton right now in my yard. If it weren't for the cool rainy weather today they'd be out on the grass eating both.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Does anybody know what this kind of flower is? It's purple with a white middle, only grows to about an inch, has five petals, and is found growing near dandelions. I live in south eastern MN. I want to put my pigs outside and don't want them to eat a potentially poisonous flower. It might be a weed too, I'm not sure.

Do a Google image search for "violet" - is that what you're looking at?

werevamper

Cavy Slave
Do a Google image search for "violet" - is that what you're looking at?

Yes it is. Thanks. Would it be the field violet in Ly's list then so it's ok for the pigs to eat?

ChristyG

Cavy Slave
Danelions..great..I have a bunch in my yard..which we have no fertilizer or pesticides on!

fairylover

Cavy Slave
What about Ecoli from dogs' excrement? I have dogs and cats so I'm afraid to give the grass and stuff to my guinea pigs.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
You wouldn't give them grass that has been or potentially been contaminated by other species such as dogs or cats.

chaton

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know the status of something called "Fescues." I believe it to be a type of grass/ground cover. I'm looking at some ground cover mixes that are mostly clovers, orchard grass, alfalfas...all stuff that I know are ok, but I searched for "fescue" and didn't have anything come up.

Does anyone have a recommendation for buying seed (preferably organic) to make a little home cavy garden? Websites that cater to home gardeners so I don't end up with 5lbs of timothy seed. :) Thanks.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Fescue is a type of grass and is used as hay also. Fescue does have a mold/fungus problem associated with it. I won't feed local hay anymore as it's over 1/2 fescue.

If you want to plant a garden for your cavies, wheat grass, timothy, bluegrass and orchard would be good choices. I'd do more grasses and stay away from alfalfa. You could do clover too.

DressCode

Cavy Slave
Ly
I have had my piggie for 4 months now:love:, and he only seems to like carrots and hay. I want to start growing hay for him in a box that he can get into. Would this be ok? We live in an apartment, and he's alone, so I don't want him to get to big on grass. Also, what kind of grass seed should I get? is any mix from a garden store ok?:confused:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Ly
I have had my piggie for 4 months now:love:, and he only seems to like carrots and hay.
You need to stop giving carrot and start giving daily staples in small amounts a few times a day and leave them in the cage. Carrots are only a treat veggie. Daily staples are lettuces, bell pepper and cilantro. Feed these three things only until he eats them regularly then you can add in more variety.

I want to start growing hay for him in a box that he can get into. Would this be ok? We live in an apartment, and he's alone, so I don't want him to get to big on grass. Also, what kind of grass seed should I get? is any mix from a garden store ok?:confused:
If you mean grow grass in a box with dirt and stuff that he can access, it's a bad idea as you will end up with a very dirty, muddy pig. You can grow grass for him but don't give him access to what you grow it in, just cut it and feed it. Grass when available is one of the best things you can give him, he won't get fat from grass. He does also need an unlimited supply of grass hay because unless you have many, many containers of fresh grass growing, you won't be able to give him unlimited amounts of it.

I'd go for grasses that are not ornamental types. Timothy grass seed, orchard grass seed, bermuda, etc. would all be good choices.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
I looked through and I couldn't find it, but I will be growing a few stalks of corn in my garden this summer. I'm wondering if it would be okay to feed my guinea pigs the stalks/leaves? I know you can feed the husks almost daily. What about the rest of the plant? Same question for broccoli/cauliflower.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I really don't know on the corn. It would be better, in my opinion, to just stick to husk and silk. Broccoli leaves and stem can be fed. I'd have to look up cauliflower.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
I have fed cauliflower and broccoli leaves but I wasn't sure about the rest of the plant. Though I suppose even if I did feed broccoli "stalks" it would not be worth it, as it would have to be sparingly and the plant is huge.
As far as corn goes, I guess I'll just have to dry it and use it as fall decor.

chrisandpiggers

Cavy Slave
What about amaranth?
I usually give the pigs a few small leaves each, every three days or so. Although the type I give is the green, wild amaranth. It grows in our back yard and is chemical free. In Greek it's called vleeta and we sometimes eat it ourselves.
From Wikipedia:
They are a very good source of vitamins including vitamin A, vitamin K, vitamin B6, vitamin C, riboflavin, and folate, and dietary minerals including calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper, and manganese. However their moderately high content of oxalic acid inhibits the absorption of calcium and zinc.

Is it okay to keep feeding them this in moderation?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Amaranth is on the poisonous plants list. It's toxic to guinea pigs. Discontinue feeding.

chrisandpiggers

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I will definitely take that advice on board.
I've been feeding vleeta to my pigs for years and haven't had any medical problems apart from a URI and some lice. If it was that toxic wouldn't of they gotten sick already? Or not necessarily?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
After having a little more time today to do more research and digging around on the net.

Directly from the source: Harmful & Poisonous Plants: A-G

AMARANTH (Amaranthus hybridus); plant may contain toxic levels of nitrates.

Amaranthus hybridus (AMARANTH, CARELESS WEED, TUMBLEWEED); plant may contain toxic levels of nitrates.

There are many varieties of amaranth and the ones on the poisonous plants list states hybridus and the variety you feed is Amaranthus viridis so it seems a different species and may be fine. It's often confusing to figure out what is or isn't safe because there are so many varieties of the same plants. And some plants in that genus are ok while others are not.

cavymomma

Cavy Slave
We live in Florida and grown banana trees down the side of our house. Our Guinea pigs love to eat the banana leaves. We have tried slices of bananas every now and then, but they aren't so interested. They love the leaves.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.