Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My guinea pig ate a plastic bag.

blooborax

Cavy Slave
My mom was careless earlier & threw a shopping bag by his cage. I just found out about it when I went to feed him. He chewed & ate part of the bag's handle.:(

I don't know what to do...Do I just have to wait & see if I see the plastic passes through his droppings before I worry any more??

EDIT: I hope no one nags at me for this topic, I dont know if it's considered an emergency or not...? I'm sure someone here has experienced similar incidents with guinea pigs & plastic..

PiGgIeCrAzYBaBy

Cavy Slave
Harry got a hold of a big black plastic garbage bag full of dirty bedding that needed to be taken out to the garbage last October. He is just fine, he didn't get sick or throw up or do anything unusual, so I wouldn't worry unless your pigger starts to act odd.

blooborax

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your comment. I wasn't sure how it goes with guinea pigs & plastic bags! I'll be keeping an eye on him. Good to hear that your guinea pig was fine! shopping bags are nothing, compared to trash bags!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
He should be okay. Make certain he's pooping fine. If he stops defecating, seems to be straining to poop or his abdomen feels hard, bloated, rigid or painful then you must get him to a vet immediately.

Just so you know it's physically impossible for guinea pigs to throw-up/vomit. If your GP seems to vomit it is probably either a serious tooth/mouth issue or an esophagus problem and they must see a competent cavy vet as soon as possible.

blooborax

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for the information! I didn't know about the vomit thing, so that's very good to know. I was wondering earlier, if he can vomit or not!

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
My pigs eat thick plastic like in pigloos, and they've never had a problem. Your pig will probably be just fine.

PiGgIeCrAzYBaBy

Cavy Slave
Wow, I didn't know they couldn't vomit. Lol, it's true you learn something new everyday! (and now I know why he didn't vomit)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.