Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reference Do my pigs need Salt Wheels or Mineral Licks?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
The answer to this question is absolutely NOT. Too much salt or minerals in a pigs diet only cause problems later on down the road. So if you've purchased a salt lick or mineral wheel the best thing you can do is throw them in the trash.

I also want to mention that piggies do not need pumice stones either.

Last edited:

PIGGIN AROUND

Cavy Slave
It is ok to give them a salt wheel, they will only lick the amount of salt they need if ever. I give mine salt wheels and they only nibble on it and take what they need. There is no problem with this because they need salt in their every day diet. A salt wheel will not hurt, just like other food, the pig wont eat it if it dont need/want it.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
It is ok to give them a salt wheel, they will only lick the amount of salt they need if ever. I give mine salt wheels and they only nibble on it and take what they need. There is no problem with this because they need salt in their every day diet. A salt wheel will not hurt, just like other food, the pig wont eat it if it dont need/want it.

Guinea pigs can and do eat what they do not need or want. That's why they end up with problems like bladder stones, bloat, diarrhea, and bladder sludge. If you're feeding a good brand of pellet like Oxbow or Kleenmama's,there is plenty of salt in their pelleted foods to fulfill that nutritional requirement, they don't need a lot.

emithebug

Cavy Slave
NO, they do NOT need mineral or salt wheels! You are increasing the likelihood of bladder or kidney stones by giving these to them.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
A salt wheel will not hurt, just like other food, the pig wont eat it if it dont need/want it.
The basic problem with this statement is that a guinea pig ALWAYS wants food, and especially junk food that they really shouldn't have. The excess minerals in a salt/mineral wheel is just as bad for a cavy as excess salt is for a human, if not worse. If your pig licks and nibbles the wheel, it's because he likes the taste of the salt, NOT because he needs it.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Human beings want chocolate, sweet, salty and fatty junk foods - just because they want it doesn't mean it's good for them.

kathrynj

Cavy Slave
There is a myth around also that cats will only eat as much as they need and no more. My fat cat who is finding it very hard to loose her excess weight, but for her health needs to, is testament to the fact that this is far from true.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
NO NO NO NO NO they are not good 4 them

avcavies

Cavy Slave
What kind of animal uses them anyway?

Chomper_Slave

Cavy Gazer
Horses. . . :p
Since you asked.

I was wondering though, are they okay for other small animals such as rats and rabbits, or would they cause the same problems? :confused:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I don't believe they are good for rats and rabbits either. I certainly don't provide any to my rats.

Zenith Cherry

Cavy Slave
Wow, I didn't know salt blocks were bad at all. My pigs have on on every level, I'm going to take them down today. Thanks ^_^

CavyFanatic13

Cavy Slave
I didn't know they were bad either. I have a salt wheel and mineral lick. As soon as I read this, they both went in the trash. Thank you for the info.

melquida

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info I diodn't know this either i have just Adopted two female and this came with them I'm so glad I found this site

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
A salt wheel will not hurt, just like other food, the pig wont eat it if it dont need/want it.

Just like "Percy's Mom" said a guinea pig is ALWAYS wants food as they are constant foragers (Sorry I spelt that wrong but I tryed my best).

I know mine are :sarcastic I think i go through about the same as maybe 15-20 cups and about 10 cups of readigrass!:melodrama

Last edited:

KatieIsRadio

Cavy Slave
Thanks for posting this!

I'm learning so many things that are bad for my piggy that my friends, who used to have one, didn't know about.
:]
Muchas Gracias Chicas y Chicos!

Char-x

Cavy Slave
Thanks for posting this, my mum got them one as a treat and I thought it was a great idea, clearly not! Thankfully my young girls never touched it and my boar just licked it abit and never touched it again *phew*
There down now :)

Guinea_Piggin

Cavy Slave
Another "thank you" for this post. I had one for my AJ, but all he ever did was pee on it, maybe he knew better than I did. lol

My aunt, on the other hand, is one of the believers that "if the pet stores sell it, it must be good/okay for the animal(s). If it wasn't good for them, they wouldn't have it on their shelves." Argh!

gpigluver14

Cavy Slave
I received salt licks for Christmas for my piggy..... :sad: And something tells me the receipt for them wasn't saved. I don't want to just throw them out so I think I will leave them out for the deer. (I live near a lot of woods.) And deer like salt licks so it's a win-win situation. Yay!

Dega Lee

Cavy Slave
oh no! I'm glad I found this thread! I have one in my cage. I noticed earlier today that Dega had eaten a very tiny amount of it. I'm gonna have to take it out of her cage!! Thanks for this post and useful information!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.