Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Can you tell when your guinea pigs going to give birth?

guineapiggirl

Cavy Slave
My piggie is getting bigger, :) Shes eating lots of food and shes looking really heathy,I wondered if theres any signs anyone can tell me about.. when shes going to give birth soon as I dont really know how far along she is. :eek:

She is currently in a lovely big cage but on her own as the other girls kept trying to fight her, shes happy enough and theres always someone around talking to her:)

Do guinea pigs give birth anytime or day or night? Will I miss her give birth? Does she make alot of noise? Im so excited :D

annier

Cavy Slave
I'm the novice here but I can tell you my own recent experiences. We adopted Pookie on 8-29-2006 two days later we wanted to make sure she was healthy so we took her to a vet that was said to be the best guinea pig vet around. He checked Pookie out said no pregnancy and weighed her in at 1.lb 4 oz. . A week later Pookie was scratching so we returned to the vet Pookie had gained 3 ounces, still no to pregnancy. A week later we weighed Pookie at home, she weighed 1.lb 13 ounces. We home school so Pookie was petted, picked up, cuddled many times throughout the day and night. We never felt babies or saw anything on the tummy. Pookie did get big hips the third week we had her and she was starting to drag her tummy in the playpen and by the 4th week I was afraid we were feeding her too much. On Sept.26th I fed Pookie at 7:AM as usual. She was making big noise for food and she ate every bite. She looked ok but she was more reclining while she ate instead of sitting on her rump. At 10:30 when we checked her water Pookie was in the igloo licking off two pups. We have a small house and Pookie never made a sound to let us know anything was going on. We weren't expecting pregnancy. The biggest difference in Pookie was how broad her hips got and her tits got bigger too. The day before Pookie gave birth she was quieter then usual and I was afraid she was getting sick but I found no evidence of this when I checked her out. I think every piggie like every woman is going to be a bit different in pregnancy. I would take your girl to a good vet who really knows about guinea pigs. Get a referral from someone besides the people who work for the vet. Our babies are two weeks old today but we would have done so many things differently if we had known she was pregnant.

kathmom26

Cavy Slave
Well our new neighbor is 10. She wanted to pick up my daughters GP. She claims that she has had pregnant hamsters in the past and that by holding them can predict when they will have the babies. I refused. I can see and feel them now so I just leave the poor thing alone. Amazes me how they can look me straight in the face and lie like that.

cavyinhawaii

Cavy Slave
This might sound really silly but I measured my piggie. She was 14" around her belly the night before she had them. She had 2 babies. You could also really feel and hear the babies inside. I couldn't stop holding her it was so sweet.

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
Right before birth cavies will make a ''hicupping'' sound. This means the babies will be born within the next few minutes. Make sure she has a sheltered soft area in which to give birth such as an igloo with soft fleece e.t.c. Guinea pigs will give birth usually early in the morning or in late-early evening. It isnt to common for a cavy to give brith in the middle of the day, so monitor her more closely during mornings and evenings. However she should be monitored 24/7 in case complications occur and in case she does go into labour during the day.

My two girls gave birth at 6 am and the other at 11pm. Both morning and evening and not during the day. Goodluck and have a qualified vet on stand by 24/7 so if any problems occur you can go straight to the vet. Labour should be short and quick.

Please read this: Guinea Lynx :: Labor its a guide to both labour and what to expect when the babies are born.

Last edited:

kathmom26

Cavy Slave
I did not mean to say you should not hold them while pregnant. I was just not going to let some child I don't really know pick her up.

Daisy had her babies yesterday around 6:30. Two are mostly black with white lines down the nose and some feet. The third is brownish with a white line down the nose. We only saw the last one being born. Daisy was on fleece. Which I changed to soon. I did not realize the placentas all come out at the same time. Otherwise I would have waited to clean up.

One thing I noticed the past few days before birth is Daisy was very annoyed with our male Ebony. She did not want him near her. Now we can find the whole family back together again. I also was able to start seeing movement with in the last two weeks.

purrrfect piggy

Cavy Slave
The link was extremely helpful especially the FAQ about separating the piggies

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.