Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

pet store cage

guineabeginner

Cavy Slave
It seems that everyone on here has rather large cages even if they only have one guinea pig. My guinea pig will be living in a cage from a pet store, big enuff for himself. However, not at all like the ones on this site. I do plan to have it outside the cage much when I am home however, to play with, I will be sure my guinea pig doesn't get lonely, my mom will play with it while I'm not at home. I have had experience with other pets, it is not as though, I will neglect the poor fellow. I kind of get the feeling I'm going to be scorned on this forum for having a pet store cage...

Piggy92

Cavy Slave
I have one too, and plan on building a 2x4 for 2 piggies, but at the moment cant because my mom wont let me, and she even threatens to get rid of them if I make one, I have tried over and over to cinvince her, and we even get into fights over this, but I wont stop, and I will buy materials build one and then show her how much better it would be for them.

guineabeginner

Cavy Slave
Yes, once I get a job, which will be soon, I hope to make a wonderfully large cage for my guinea pig.

guineabeginner

Cavy Slave
GREAT NEWS! My parents will help me get the materials to make a home for my guinea pig! So, no pet store cage ^_^

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
That's great! You will save loads more money and give him extra space at the same time.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I see I have found you here. Good for you! As I said in your Introduction post, you can make a C&C cage for half of what the largest and still too small pet store cage costs. I am speaking of the Super Pet XL. By the time you put in a hidey house, food bowls, even if hanging from the side of the cage, and water bottle, all the room is gone. Your piggy can't get out of it's potty and has no room to run and popcorn.

MamaG

Cavy Slave
I am getting a pet store cage that is 46x23 and I hope this will be enough room for my new baby pig. I am going to have a hard enough time fitting this into my bedroom so a C&C cage would have been to big. Well, I will try it and if I need a bigger cage I will take out my bed to make room for a C&C cage and I will just sleep on the sofa!!! lol

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Once again for half the price you can make a C&C cage. Why spend the money like that? BTW which cage are you looking at that is that big?

guineabeginner

Cavy Slave
Re: walks

Well, I only have room for the smallest C&C cage, however I will probably build a short split level as well...I don't think this would be enuff room for two, would it?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
If you can find room for a 2X3 C&C cage, you can probably find room for a 2X4 which is really only slightly more than 1 foot longer. Look around the space you have and see what might be able to be rearranged. A 2X3 is very minimal space and would be best for 2 sows if you absolutely can not make it any larger. Putting a loft on is nice, but doesn't count towards the minimum space requirements.

guineabeginner

Cavy Slave
Well since I will be keeping the cage in my room, I don't suppose that this would be a problem, I will try to make room for a larger cage. I would really like to get two...and don't think it would be a problem at all should the SPCA have two of them, but suposing the worst, suposing that they only have one, would it be ok, to wait until I had the money to buy my guinea a pet store companion?

fairysari

Cavy Slave
Guineabeginner, pet store pigs are often sold ill, and will end up costing you more money in vet bills. I had that problem with my first pig, which was a pet store pig, before I found this site. Luckily I found this site, and the vet bills were only slightly more than $50, and my pig is in perfect health now. But buying from a petstore can cost WAY more in the long run. My SPCA adopted pig was only $6!

Keep looking on petfinder for pigs, but chances are you will find two together who would like a home together. If there is only one, then tell them at the SPCA that you want a buddy for your pig, and ask them to call you when one comes in. You might have to wait a little while, but it won't be too long. Please don't buy a guinea pig from a pet store.

mscavyclosed

Cavy Slave
My parents wanted me to keep the cage in my room, but there was no way, and I am not in my room that much so I got them to let them be in the living room! That way they are more easily accessed by everyone for a bit of petting. Yeah, my mom had guinea pigs when I was little and it was a petstore cage, but it was a lot bigger than the tiny tiny one that they came in. They were being used as a daycare pet for little toddlers! Their cage was knocked over repetedly and everything. Then I wanted guinea pigs and I knew C&C was the way to go. It's so easy to change when I need to I just reconnect cubes and cut and tape some coroplast!

guineabeginner

Cavy Slave
I can't keep them out side of my room, because we have cats. It should be fine though, I'm not in my room much, but now that the guinea pigs will be there, I will be there a lot lol, and my mom isn't going to let them get lonely, during the day. I have changed my room so much for the large cage I built, it's going to be a guinea pig centered room from now on. Oh and I found a pet store that takes animals from the spca, so you can adopt cats and dogs there, and they keep great care of their guineas they look really healthy, and alert, so I'm adopting a poor little guinea from the spca, he has been there for quite a while, then buying him a buddy from the pet store.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Nope nada zippo...DO NOT buy a friend for your adopted pig! ADOPT again. If you would let us know what city and state you live in, many of us can help you find a pig.

A pig from the SPCA should be checked over by a cavy vet OK? the reason I suggest this is because most 'animal shelters' are not knowledgeable on cavy health. Just keep that it mind. You will want to make sure this SPCA cavy is 100% fine before adopting a second.

My pigs all come from SC GP Rescue and when I get them home, I know they are healthy because of Patricia's knowledge of pigs etc. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a pig from the SPCA just keep in mind that they have most likely not been treated for mites and lice or if they were maybe it was not done correctly etc.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Isn't that completely contridicting the adoption? Why would you adopt, then go ahead and add to the problem again?

guineabeginner

Cavy Slave
Alright, I live in PA if anyone can find a place where I can adopt another guinea pig. I said why I would buy one from that pet store, I checked out the guineas and they looked to be very healthy and playful creatures that had been taken care of well. Not ALL pet stores are bad.

GadgetGirl

Cavy Slave
I couldn't leave this one alone.

I got two pigs from the PetSmart here in Delaware and one of them was sick and died. Please find it in your heart to not purchase from a pet store. My piggie that died looked healthy but I'm sure she was sick when I got her. Thankfully my other one was and is very healthy.

You can find piggies in PA, I drove an hour and a half one way to PA to get Ivy and Violet and I found them on PetFinders. I got them from a vet so I knew they would be healthy. All three of my girls get along very well and seem to be happy and very active.

Adoption is the way to go. Sometimes there is a little info on the piggie when you adopt but if you buy from the store, they don't give any information on how old the pigs are or where they came from or any of the important things you need to know. They give you the bare minimum that they think is necessary which is not very much.

I hope I don't sound like a lecturer, but I am passionate about never buying from a pet store every again. I didn't have that baby long, but I do miss her sometimes and I wish I could have saved her. Just think about it.

GadgetGirl the Piggie Lover:love:

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
There's a rescue in Hatboro, and there are multiple rescues in NJ. If you find one you would like, you can set up a piggy train if you're not able to drive that far.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)
Furry Friends Guinea Pig Rescue, they're in Wallingford, PA.

Wheek Care Guinea Pig Rescue
Wheek Care Guinea Pig Rescue, they're in Lower Burrell, PA.

If your parents feel like that is too far to drive, try calling the rescue. Some rescues will drive to meet you in order to place guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.