Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I'm very embarrassed to say

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
Well XZAnder has never been fat or plump so to say. He was skinny when I got him, he has put on some weight but stays at a constant 2.25 pounds. I just want to worm him as a maintence, I doubt there is anything wrong with him. It's only costs $30 each shot per piggy. Not too bad, I would love to learn how to do it myself though.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Lyndsay, You can do it yourself. Id id! All of mine had a lice outbreak and I printed off the instructions from GL and showed him. He said, "This is exactly what I was going to have you do." So you can do it too. It is a ratio of 1 part liquid Ivermectin to 9 parts Propylene glycol or you can use oil. You need a scale and go from there. GL had it all charted out for you. You should be able to get the Ivermectin from a feed store, if not you can mix the horse paste wormer.
https://www.guinealynx.info/oral_ivermectin.html

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I've done it myself as well. I was so scared to do it, but it is very easy. I've treated my boys once and I'm treating my new girls right now.

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
I have the ivermec, I use the scale daily for them, and I have the syringes. I don't understand the whole 1 to 9 ratio. Whats a part?

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
What I do is put enough ivermectin in a tupperware container for a 250 lb horse. Then I add 22 cc of water. I put the lid on and shake it up really well.Then I use the chart on this page to figure out the dosage for each pig:https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_oral.html

janetangel

Cavy Slave
Good idea Piggiemom, when I get the new girls from my friend who needs to rehome...I will use the ivermectin for the horses (my dad has tons of the syringes for the horses, he will not miss one, I hope) and use your formula and the guinealynx website.

C&K

Cavy Slave
The big plastic bags that the hay is in could be getting moist inside, and be more attractive to bugs, fungus and mold. If you could store the hay in something with some air flow, like cardboard boxes, it might help. Or you could at least poke some holes in the plastic to let air get to the hay, so it doesn't get damp and moldy.

Sorry to be jumping back into this so late into the thread, but I am in agreement with this. If you must keep it in the garage, why don't you put it into those giant paper leaf and yardwaste bags?

Also, the woodchip brands you mentioned sound fine enough. It could still be a bad batch, but I would hope not. It probably is the hay. One way you could check, is to take some woodships, and some hay, and try to "culture" it so to speak, lay it out in a container, soak it down a bit, and see what crops up!

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
I deffinatly intend to do that, since the boys are in the quarenteen cage I have been feeding them the hay that we suspect might be the culpret, tonight when they go back into their C&C cage, I'm going to carefully go through the other cage to see what I find.

I think that with the remodel I'm going to put a brick underneath the water bottle.

janetangel

Cavy Slave
Yes, the brick under the water bottle I like that idea too. I thought about that last night when I was cleaning out their cage and I noticed how moist it got under the bottle and the hay that fell down by there. It got very yucky. I was doing a lot of wiping out to get it all cleaned up in one spot. Messy messy piggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.