Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I'm very embarrassed to say

Bellebelle

Cavy Slave
Mealworms are what quite a few reptile owners feed their pets. I have a Bearded Dragon and a Blue Tongue and they would live on meal worms and forget the 70% veggie diet if I let them. Rosie also likes crickets and Amber likes snails and earth worms.

I agree with C&K, I have different brands over here but if its a brand notorious for selling tainted proudcts (to borrow C&K's words) then its very likely it is.

Emma

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
Funny enough C&K the brand of shavings is called Pestell's, hows that for a little humour. All I know is that they switch back and forth from a different kind, and it depends on what location I buy it from as well. I'll be right back as I check the second bag they sell. Alright the second one is Pet's Pal, I try to tend to stick to these kind, because they are made in Canada, and they are a bit less expensive, not to mention I don't like getting anything from walmart, because it's mixed with cedar, and they don't tell you that (but you sure can smell it in there). As for the hay, the gentlemem I bought it from kept it in a hay loft above his barn, if that makes a difference, it was away from the elements. I can try to keep as much as possible inside, but my house is almost a completely finished house, and my parents are not keep on having even the shavings inside. I bought two bails of hay this time, and I'm glad I did, the first bale the hay was kinda thicker, and the pigs spent most of the time rummaging through it to pick out the grassy pieces, so I switched to the other bale witch is mostly the grassy type.
In case it makes a difference, there isn't any vehicles in my garage ever, it's just a extension to my house, where more toys are kept, nothing is ever idling in there though, and the bales of hay are kept in the corner with filing cabnets, in industrial size clear plastic bags.

As for the worming, it had to be done sooner or later, I had put off doing it myself, cause I didn't trust the syringes, or my measuring. I'm heading off my work to pick up paychecks, which is right beside Zellers, if you reply sometime soon with a posisitive on the containers, I'll pick a few up. I'm not quite sure where to get paper bags though.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Many people feed meal worms to bluebirds also.

Lyndsay, I just tore my cage apart and built a new one. You are fine and I thought I was a clean freak. Boy the vacumming I did when I started moving things about! The coro going around the walls are much higher now!

fairysari

Cavy Slave
The big plastic bags that the hay is in could be getting moist inside, and be more attractive to bugs, fungus and mold. If you could store the hay in something with some air flow, like cardboard boxes, it might help. Or you could at least poke some holes in the plastic to let air get to the hay, so it doesn't get damp and moldy.

Do you have Pet Valu or Global/Ryan's Pet foods in Thunder Bay? Both chains don't sell animals, and might be a good choice for buying shavings if you're disappointed with the quality at Zellers or Walmart.

Meal worms totally gross me out too. I have a salamander that eats live insects, and I was giving him meal worms for a while, but I couldn't stand it anymore! Back to crickets, and sometimes silkworms (or whatever those soft green ones are) for Fido.

If you can find Panomec wormer, it isn't that hard to dose it out yourself - if I can do it, anyone can! You just NEED a 1cc syringe to be able to measure it properly. I mixed the ivermectin and water in one of those little apothecary jars with a plastic seal from Ikea, and shook it up. https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_oral.html

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
Pet Valu is actually where I buy my feed from, I love that they don't sell pets, but just recently they have gotten into selling those small cage, I'm going to take a look through the bag of food right now, and see if there is anything in there. Pet Valu carries the same type of shavings that Zellers does, but for a higer price. I get all my Yesterdays News from there, and feed in large bags. There are holes in the bags, and they are never left closed cuase moisture would build up. I'm heading to Zellers to see what kinda of gigantic tubs I can get my hands on.

I have purchased Panomec, I use is on my rabbit. I have read the measurement thing over and over on GuineaLynx, and have it book marked, but I don't trust myself, and would rather hand it over to our vets. That is if I can judge that they know enough.

fairysari

Cavy Slave
I'm curious - do you get the Pet Valu brand pellets? They seem to be similar to Mazuri plain, as far as I can tell. Or can you find Oxbow in T Bay? My BF is headed up there on a business trip in a little over a week, so I might get him to bring me back some piggie supplies! I bet that it isn't that easy to find stuff up there, though.

If it's just the math that you are worried about with the Panomec, I posted all my calculations and everything on here to have it checked over to make sure it was okay first, and you could do the same. But bring them to the vet if you aren't comfortable doing it - I just worry that it would be so expensive. Remember that it has to be at least two (preferably three) doses a week to ten days apart, so you'll need at least two vet visits.

Is it a new vet that you are trying out? I guess you've probably read the info on GL about what questions to ask a vet to find out if they are knowledgeable?

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
Ok, so I went and check through all the feed, and it deffinatly isn't that. Which I'm glad, that means that Pet Valu doesn't have tainted food. I can't really rip apart the shaving bag as it's brand new, and only used once, I have no area big enough to spread that out and go thro, and then transfer it back into. Using the counter for the feed was different. When I clean the cage today I'll be sure to look through the shavings very well. Anyways I'll be leaving soon enough to pick up the containers if I can find any at Zellers.

fairysari

Cavy Slave
Are you talking about those giant Rubbermaid bins? I have seen them at the Zellers near me. Canadian Tire also has them - they were on sale when I was in there yeaterday, something like $6 for the huge ones.

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
Oy, I just buy the Pet Valu pellets because they are simple. As far as I know we can't get Oxbow up here. There is tons of pet stuff up here, let me know exactly what you are looking for, and I'll direct yoour hasband in the right direction. It would be cool if you were coming up to, then we could meet. I'm always thrilled to meet piggy people, and as there arn't any C&C members in Thunder Bay, it's rare that I travel to see them. (With exception to A4PigHome)

I have never had to bring any of my pets to the vet for anything yet (knocks on wood). It has been 10 months since XZander was last wormed *wow just realised I've had him for almost a year now* He is getting older, as he was 3 when I adopted him. I decided that now I have the funds to pay for it myself. Working three jobs, and I have been able to get everything I want for my animals. I have honestly for months been thinking about getting them wormed, but cannot risk their lives for my own mistakes. I even went and picked up 1cc syringes. I was so paranoid that I filled the syringes like 52 times over to see how accurate they were, and I was so paraniod that I refused to use them, because when they explain that .6cc is only a few drops, and it looks like more than a 'few' drops to me, I get worried. I have posted on Guinea Lynx about it too, and I just decided to have the vet do it, but since I havn't been to the vet for anything, I'm paranoid that they will mess up too. I have the oral horse paste so the whole mixing thing has got my mind in loops. I'm somewhat dislexic (sp?) and math boggles my mind.

I'll drop you a pm, and then we can talk without totally taking over my thread hehe.

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
I went out and bought a 70L tub, can I keep the hay in there with the lid on in any circumstance? Or should it be left open?

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Well you'll want to keep it so that air can get to it. Here's what I would do: go out and buy some screening (like for windows or screen doors), cut a decent sized hole in the lid, and staple the screening to it. If you get a very fine screen it should keep most bugs out, but still allow air in.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Leave the lid off. Even if you don't notice any moisture in the hay, it's still there, and keeping the container covered will create a small sauna and cause mold in your hay.

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
Now that's an idea.

I had a new revolution, I want to build a bigger cage.. sorry random thought.

janetangel

Cavy Slave
C&K said:
As for the hay, cattle hay is often not suitible but what about getting a bunch of paper bags and a rubber maid container? Portion the hay into bags, and fold the tops over, and store in a container, lid off so it can breath, in the house. This should help cut down on the allergies I would think by containing the haydust? But also get it out of the garage?
This is a great idea for my house. I have been keeping the hay indoors, but it gets all over the floor when I feed the piggies. I love the rubber maid idea and I think I am going to do it. That would cut down on some of the mess for me and look better in the house too.

janetangel

Cavy Slave
Question about the deworming...Is is something you are suppose to do on a regular basis with Piggies like you do horses? Or are you just doing it because you had a friendly little worm visitor?
Mine are happy and healthy right now and I would like them to stay that way.

jackie158

Cavy Slave
I dont know if I will be of any help, but if it were me, I would put the worm in a container, where it can't get out and show it to the vet. The vet may know a little about it. Mods please don't be mad if this is not a good idea, it's just what I would do.

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
Psst Jackie we have already identified the worm, its a meal worm. It's piggy harmless hehe.

Oh yeah I love tupperware! I somehow knew I would be out buying more. Which reminds me I wanted to look in the catalog to see if I can buy them with my zellers points.

About the deworming, I'll let someone more experianced grab that one, as I'm not even sure myself.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I have not heard of a guinea pig needing to be de-wormed. I can see where it is one that has lived in filth and excrement and something may happen but for normal healthy pigs. I am not sure on this at all.

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
Oh dewormer takes care of many things, mites and the sort as well. Sorry for the confusion. I kinda threw the word around, I ment to say that the pigs are having a Ivermec dose.

janetangel

Cavy Slave
Oh Okay I feel better now.
I already had my piggies demited (sort of speak).
My piggies are kinda tubby and round so I doubt they have any worms.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.