Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Do you clean guinea pigs teeth?

live4guineapigs

Cavy Slave
:confused: I was just wondering because I am getting guinea pigs soon. Thank yoi

live4guineapigs

Cavy Slave

live4guineapigs

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know?:weepy:

bee1101

Cavy Slave
As a rule, no I don't. I check them though and they seem to keep them clean themselves. However, recently, one of my boars had a load of rubbish, hay bits, hair etc, stuck to the bottom of his bottom teeth and I cleaned those for him. He still has a little hair stuck to them but I suppose that is perfectly natural seeing as they clean themselves and get knots out of their hair with their teeth.

But put that Colgate and toothbrush away :eek:

C&K

Cavy Slave
This is a message board, not a live chat, it may take even a few hours to get an answer to your questions, especially if they are obscure or at times when no one is around. please be patient!

No, you don't brush your pigs teeth, as they continually grow all the time, unlike a dog or a humans. Every couple of months, your pigs will replace their teeth!

However, there are things you can do for good oral care, such as feed them unlimited grass hay, this helps wear down the teeth as it is abrasive. If they don't wear them down, they may overgrow and the pig cannot eat, requiring an expensive (and painful) tooth trim from a vet.

Also, don't feed them mixed pellets with seeds / nuts / dried fruits and veggies. These can stick to the teeth and cause problems, or they can choke on them. Occasionally it is ok to feed them a single raisen, like a couple times a month, but that the quantity they can have as far as dried fruits go!

You also want to make sure that you check the front teeth once a week to make sure they look "good", not chipped, broken, or too long / misaligned etc.

live4guineapigs

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I am new to this. Sorry!

live4guineapigs

Cavy Slave
Yes. I live near New Orleans and I went to petfinder and I am getting two from SC Guinea Pig Rescue:)

live4guineapigs

Cavy Slave
Thank you, C&K. I won't use too many smilies.

C&K

Cavy Slave
Thank you, C&K. I won't use too many smilies.

Don't worry about me and smilies... I am not sure how I have avoiding a thrashing with either the Mod stick of pain or a rubber trout for my excessive use of them! I would put one right here... But I used them all up last night for the next week or so!

<insert another imaginative smiley here for your own pleasure!>

live4guineapigs

Cavy Slave
Ha Ha. Hey, I need someones opinion! Would you rather get 2 one year old guinea pigs or get 2 nine week old baby piggies? I have a choice of both because I am going to SC Guinea Pig Shelter and I was wonder what you personally do. Thanks!

live4guineapigs

Cavy Slave
I can show you at www.petfinder.com if you would like to see them. They are so cute!

fairysari

Cavy Slave
Make sure you call the shelter before you go in expecting certain piggies! The ones on petfinder could be adopted before you actually get to the shelter, and they could have more pigs that they haven't had a chance to put up on petfinder yet. I think either pair of pigs would be great, it's great that you are adopting, and getting two of them. When are you going to the shleter? Good luck!

live4guineapigs

Cavy Slave
Thanks, fairysari. My family has already called and we already talked to the rescue owner and she gave us an application and we were approved. We are planning to go and look at the groups on July 9.

2pigs4rats

Cavy Slave
Honestly I would get the older piggies, baby pigs are much more likely to get homes than older pigs. Whatever pigs you decide to get though, it's great that you are adopting! Good luck with your new piggies and we all look forward to pigtures!

live4guineapigs

Cavy Slave
Don't worry I will. I was more interested in the older ones anyway.

Tatalp

Cavy Slave
I agree, go with the older ones because they are harder to adopt.

live4guineapigs

Cavy Slave
Thanks Guys! I am glad I have a second opinion

C&K

Cavy Slave
Would it be possible to adopt a baby and a yearling? Sort of the best of both worlds maybe? I would not do this though if the yearlings are bonded...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.