Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Static mite

KatsCavies

Cavy Slave
Do any of you guys who keep your pigs on fleece/towel/vetbed ever find static mite on your pigs?

Kat

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Nope, my pigs have never even had mites. I do a preventative treatment on any new pigs that come into my home just to make sure they don't have mites. I've been using fleece for over a year and a half now.

KatsCavies

Cavy Slave
They're a pain and still seem to show up even with regular treatment of ivomec. I ivomec all my pigs on a 6 monthly basis and use it as and when anyone shows signs of excessive scratching (once fungal infestation has been ruled out obviously). Static mite just looks like dust in the coat, usually around the rump and occasionally the cheeks and is a nightmare to shift. We've tried allsorts to prevent it but its still not 100% certain where exactly it is picked up from. So far, guesses as to where its picked up from are wooden travel boxes, bedding, hay, the list goes on. We've had pigs on just newspaper and hay and still they've gotten it.

Kat

chisky
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

KatsCavies

Cavy Slave
This is the info I have found about them.

Hay Mites
Tiny mites that live off dandruff, grease and skin debris. They are located in the coat, mainly on the rump.
Although not a variety of louse, these mites are commonly known under the name 'static lice', as opposed to 'running lice'. The scientific name is Chirodiscoides cavia. A single hay mite is hardly visible to the naked eye, but in the case of heavier infestation where they are found in abundance, they are easily seen, especially on the rump. The colour is greyish and thus more visible in dark and white pig, where they can completely destroy the overall appearance. They tend to sit on the mid-section of the hair straw, and, unless looked at very closely for some time, they do not appear to move.
There is some dispute about where hay mites come from. Some claim that they come from hay (hence the name), while others regard them as specific guinea pig parasites and claim they should be treated as such. They are not intrusive and live on hair straws with only little contact with the skin, the vast majority of pigs are unaffected by the presense of hay mites.
Treatment is quite difficult. Hay mites are not susceptible to many of the common antiparasitic preparations, and resistance develops readily. However, it is possible to reduce the numbers considerably, especially if a combination of preparations is used. This may lead to over-dosage, as one preparation may potentiate the effect of the other and it is important to consider whether the cure is worse than the disease.
However, one health problem may occur. Some pigs seem to become sensitised to mites such as dust mites and hay mites, and become pruritic. Such pigs must be kept as free from dust and static lice as possible, and glucocorticoid treatments may sometimes prove useful.

Kat

ellenvega

Cavy Slave
Perhaps consider treating your pigs with Revolution (dosing info can be found on GuineaLynx) to see if that makes a difference.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
KatsCavies said:
its still not 100% certain where exactly it is picked up from. So far, guesses as to where its picked up from are wooden travel boxes, bedding, hay, the list goes on.
Have you ever stopped to consider that the stress from being dragged around to noisy shows and being exposed to other animals with unknown health problems along with being handled by people and judges that have been handling other animals all day could be the cause?

The stress induced by showing could cause all sorts of parasites to run rampant among your animals and you can expect more outbreaks often-- especially after being at a show whether you have entered your animals or not. People coming into your home to look at your animals for sale could also be bringing all sorts of illnesses and parasites into your caviary.

Last edited by a moderator:

GSL1445

Cavy Slave
I think my baby might have mites as well. I looked at the webpage on Guinea Lynx about Revolution, but whoa...how the heck is anyone supposed to be able to decipher that(math/calcualations). My baby weighs 9 ounces. Does anyone know if revolution can be put on a baby (5weeks) and what the dosage is for that weight? How does one go about measuring it?
Thanks in advance

KatsCavies

Cavy Slave
I got my current pigs back in January and neither myself or the pigs have been to a show, and still I can find static. Furthermore, I may breed my pigs occasionally but I do not sell the babies. All my pigs stay with me, I do not keep pigs to make money. Is there a reason why you assumed I did?

Kat

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Is there a reason why you put your pigs health, happiness, and well-being in jeopardy by breeding them?

KatsCavies

Cavy Slave
I'm not turning this into an argument and I'm a little puzzled as to why you ask questions you know you won't want to hear the answers to, regardless of what they are.

Do you have children? if so, why did you choose to reproduce? As far as I see it, there are far too many humans on this planet and they should be the first species to drastically reduce reproduction.

Kat

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
No, I don't have children because I CHOOSE not to. I have a choice of who and when I'm with someone and options to prevent getting pregnant.

On the other hand, your guinea pigs have no choices. They were put together with the express purpose of getting pregnant, so you can have cute little baby piggies. They don't have the option of saying no. They can't choose to use any form of birth control. They don't have anything to rely on except for their instincts and HOPING that the human who has taken it upon herself to care for them will have the good sense to avoid something that has a 20% chance of medical problems including death with every pregnancy.

As far as puzzled goes, I'm a bit puzzled myself why you would admit to breeding your pigs on a forum that is clearly ANTI-BREEDING and not expect someone to say something about it.

Last edited:

KatsCavies

Cavy Slave
I started this thread and asked a prefectly reasonable question to which I got a couple of perfectly reasonable replies. I then find I'm being accused of all sorts of rubbish even when the person has no proof whatsoever and is just assuming. I merely defended myself which is what anyone would do.

Kat

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Here is a quote from you Kat

" I'm an adult and I breed, exhibit & judge cavies"

You admited you show, exhibit and judge cavies in one of your first posts on the forum. It makes absolute sense by your statement that YOU are causeing the mites on your animals. It is really either that or your living conditions for your animals are so horrible that the mites keep returning over and over because of the filthy living conditions and stress.

You asked a question I gave you the answer that came to mind after researching you. If you don;t like it that is not my problem. Obviously you are doing something to cause the problem so fix it.

You also made anti vegetarian statements on the Vegetarian forum.

Any more guff out of you and I will demote or ban you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.