Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How to Make a Cuddle Cup (requires sewing)

Maduska

Cavy Slave
Here's a tip for everyone. (Epecially those who aren't frequent sewers.) Use Polyester Batting instead of Coton Batting because polyester holds its shape, and can't shift around. Also, for those in the USA, Walmart is getting rid of it's fabric departments NATION WIDE, so everything will be on sale, so you might want to stock up. :cheerful:

kristal

Cavy Slave
Our Walmart in Bethany Mo, will not be getting rid of there fabric because of the Amish and quilters here buying a lot of material.
And i find foam padding makes it hold its shape too, its kinda hard to get in there, then i take a yarn needle and yarn and put bows all around the side so the foam wont move. and also putting a bit of stuffing in the bottom makes the cozy very comfy. i also was able to in large it and made a bed for my sisters dog.

Layna

Cavy Slave
How do I figure out the lenght of the stripes of fabric needed if I change the size of the circle? I made a 9 inch circle instead of an 11 inch, so how big to the stripes need to be?

Thanks
Layna

corie dora

Cavy Slave
I just made 3 of these tonight using this guide. It was great, only took about a half hour to make them all!!!

I'm sure I could have figured it out on my own, but having the instructions and measurements there already made it so easy.

I omitted tacking the batting, and just held it in place until sewing the fabric layers together, saved a little time. I also did the whole thing on the serger except closing the hole, which also made for a quick turn out.

An excellent little project!! Thanks so much Furkidsmama!!

shevonne

Cavy Slave
could you theoretically make one for a rabbit? Maybe just with a bigger diameter?:?:

Guineapigluver2

Cavy Slave
The instructions are verry helpful. Is there anything you can use insted of batting?

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
^^ I think a thin layer of foam would work too.

jilovecavies

Cavy Slave
Foam gets moldy very quickly (in my experience), so I think I would use batting. Also, the foam couldn't be sewn in. You could use a mattress pad, which has batting in it, if you absolutely can't find batting, for the poofy middle layer.

eeyorestreats

Cavy Slave
WoW Thanks for the instructions. I was wanting to make my pigs a Larger one and this helped me figure out the easy way. ! I sew but not much. LOL Have a great day!

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I've been trying to find out how to make one so that my sister can make some, since I don't want to spend $20.00 on two cuddle cups! Also, our Wal-Mart didn't get rid of their fabric department, nor did another one in a town about an hour from here.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
The instructions are great and now I have a small sewing machine! However, try as I might I really suck at cuddle cups:
cuddlecup001.jpg

It's fallen apart at the seems!

I can however make nice tunnels and cavy sacks!

beds024.jpg

beds027.jpg

You can sleep on them or in them!
DSCF0002.jpg

beds031.jpg

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Awww, they look so cute!! I'm having my sister make some cavy sacks to, that's the joy of having a sister who sews, knits, and crochets!

mbator

Cavy Slave
I am going to make some of these as I have seven piggies. Thanks, looks so cute!

GuineaAddict

Cavy Slave
If anyone wants one, I made an instruction sheet in a Microsoft Word document then pasted it into paint so that you can print it out and have it beside you as your sewing.

Harrys Dad

Cavy Slave
Thank you (broken link removed) I am cheating and getting my mom to make them she is the craft person I just do the electronic stuff lol

(broken link removed) are there instructions for those?

GuineaAddict

Cavy Slave
Thank you (broken link removed) I am cheating and getting my mom to make them she is the craft person I just do the electronic stuff lol

Yea my grandma can sew, but I kind of like doing it and it gives me pride in being able to say "I made that for my babies". However I might ask for a little help if I'm going to make multiples cause it takes me forever to sew things and sometimes they're not the best of craftmanship.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
My sister was able to make one tunnel today and it was fairly easy, I'll get her to come type it up tomorrow...erm..later today for you, as I am not exactly sure how she did it, like you I cheated.

Harrys Dad

Cavy Slave
Yea my grandma can sew, but I kind of like doing it and it gives me pride in being able to say "I made that for my babies". However I might ask for a little help if I'm going to make multiples cause it takes me forever to sew things and sometimes they're not the best of craftmanship.

I could do it but would have to be done by hand mom taught us boys to sew but I never learned how to use a sewing machine.

Justin

Cavy Slave
I could do it but would have to be done by hand mom taught us boys to sew but I never learned how to use a sewing machine.
Both I and my wife never used a sewing machine before. I bought one couple months ago to sew some fleece to towels. I am currently trying to learn it by looking very hard at the unopened box. I will teach my wife too, once I figure it out.

Harrys Dad

Cavy Slave
Both I and my wife never used a sewing machine before. I bought one couple months ago to sew some fleece to towels. I am currently trying to learn it by looking very hard at the unopened box. I will teach my wife too, once I figure it out.

well guess I could do that mom is always doing other crafts so maybe I should take care of my boys myself. She might even have one I can ruin I mean practice on.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.