Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bald spot behind one ear?

GSL1445

Cavy Slave
I was just wondering if the little bald spot is just one of his cowlicks or do some Gp's have bald spots behind their ears. It's just one ear, and he's not scratching. It's not red, irritated, scabby,scaly or anything..just bald. Just wondering. It doesn't seem to bother him.

Piggypult

Cavy Slave
thats normal some guinea pigs just have no hair right behind there.

janetangel

Cavy Slave
Yes, I had a similar concern when I took my piggies to the vet and he said the bald spots behind the ears are normal.
My piggies were also diagnosed with mites and currently being treated. Brownie has one area that is definitely caused by scratching a lot and it is very scaley/scabby. There is definitely a difference.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Oh lord Janet, glad they went for a check up!

Piggiemum

Cavy Slave
One of my boys has the bald spot behind the ear and the other doesn't.

janetangel

Cavy Slave
Yes, I am glad I got Brownie in too. Both piggies are doing better. They are not so sensitive to touch anymore. Being new to piggies I did not know if they just did not want to be touched or if something else was wrong.
I am also glad the vet pointed out to me that the bald spots behind their ears are normal. Both have bald spots behind both ears. I glad I know now only one ear can do it too so in the future when I expand my piggie world I will not stress.

knittingknerd

Cavy Slave
Gus has bald spots behind his ears. The vet told me that's totally okay. I looked at him as the vet was telling me about how he is a typical boy guinea pig, I was like "Gus, we need to make sure you don't have male pattern baldness." No need for rogaine!

Faerysprite

Cavy Slave
I think all of mine have bald spots behind the ears. Do any of yours have bald spots on their front feet? Is this from constantly grooming?

Cavy Cuckoo

Cavy Slave
Mine don't have bald spots on thier feet.. and they both don't have a bald spot behind thier ears either. Hmm, weird.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.