Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Thunder storms

robertw

Cavy Slave
We are at the part of the year where we just seem to get a lot of thunder storms. For myself it isn't an issue But Beaver seems to get pretty nervous and I have heard of pigs literally getting scared to death.

We live on the shore and are back against the mountain and the thunder tends to roll in an back. I have been here with Beaver through several storms and he tolerates them reasonable well while I'm here , Its the times I'm not here that worry me.

Any Comments or suggestions?

I was lucky yesterday as I was able to stop in an check him while I was working and the storm while very loud was of very short duration. He looked pretty nervous when i walked in.... he was almost pop corning but it was more of a rear foot pivot. I gave him a big carrot and talked to him a bit and he was fine.

Robert

ellenvega

Cavy Slave
Maybe get him a pig buddy?

muffin

Cavy Slave
I would have to agree. Most pigs are happier with a friend, same sex or neutered opposite sex. At least with a friend they get some comfrot from one another when scared and when you're not around. They feel safe in numbers, and they like a friend for company.

mkkayla

Cavy Slave
Some animals are frightened by the oise of storms. If he hasn't got a buddy getting him one may help him feel more comfortable. Also be sure he has a pigloo or some enclosed space he can hide in comfortably. Unfortunately, there is just not much you can do for them. I have a dog that gets panicked by storms, I just try to stay by his side until the thunder passes, it seems to help. Although, if I'm not home he is on his own, poor dog.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I've never heard of a pig getting scared to death. It could probably happen to any animal but it would take alot more than a thunderstorm and they'd probably have to have a heart condition to start with. It does help them alot though if they have a friend. Guinea pigs are herd animals and should never live completely alone. https://cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
My pigs were fine during the thunderstorm. At the beginning, they all hid, but eventually came out when they realised it wasn't going to eat them. A friend would definitely help, it would give him a sense of security and make it a lot less stressful. When pigs are scared, they often huddle together in a hiding spot. They're prey animals, so being alone would mean danger in the wild.

robertw

Cavy Slave
I tryed getting him a friend.... diddnt work out.

She died and he turns out to be the rather unique pig that likes being a loner.

He has a place to hide.... but thunder over here sounds like an explosion.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.