Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sunflower Seeds

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
I was wondering if sunflower seeds were OK for my guinea pig. My mom says its fine, and she got me a bag of guinea pig food. The bag has sunflower seeds. I havent fed those yet, still feeding him the normal pellets. This "new" bag also includes: Dried Corn, Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds.

spiffykinkajou

Cavy Slave
Seeds produce a choking hazard. I also read somewhere that corn is not good for them either.
They should have pellets only along with their hay and veggies and fruit.
https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html
This site has useful information about the diet and the different types of food and hay with brand recommendations.
Hope this helps.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
No how, no way.

Seeds are not only much too fatty for a GP they are also a choking hazard. I have heard of many instances of GPs choking to death on seeds or kibble corn.

Either toss that food or pick all the seeds and corn out.

valerie k

Cavy Slave
I have also noticed that when looking at this food, its alfalfa based, which, if your pigs are older, is a problem. Your best bet is to find a pet store that carries one of the better brands of pellets. I am lucky I found one that sells oxbow. You could also try and have your mom buy on line. Your pigs health depends on it. Show mom the stats on what can happen if they are not fed thier right food. (stones, bladder infections $$$$)

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
Well, I let my mom know. She got really mad at me and says I'm a paranoid kid. She said "It's in a guinea pig food bag! It has a guinea pig on it! It should be good for him, you are so paranoid!":mad:

Last edited:

spiffykinkajou

Cavy Slave
Here's a thought: You need some amunition.
Why not print out some of the valuable information that you find on what the dangers are of feeding guinea pigs that kind of food and then show it to her. I would also print out other information on the types of food a guinea pig SHOULD be eating.
Hope this helps!

valerie k

Cavy Slave
No, your a concerned kid about the health and wellbeing of your pets, which is a noble great thing to do.

hand your mom a box of food from the cupboard, and say the same thing, all these ingredients must be good for you, becouse its in people food. Kraft mac and cheese is my favorite, has a kid right on the lable... yet, take a good look at all the junk we are putting in our children with that food on the table. Over 50% you cant pronounce.

In the mean time, I would quitely take out the seeds and junk from your pigs food, and feed the pellets only. Do your research, and try and explain to mom when she isnt mad that you are only trying your best for your pets as she tries her best for you.

janetangel

Cavy Slave
I am glad you asked this question. This is good to know since my son loves sunflower seeds and we are getting our piggies in 8 days. I will make sure he knows not to share with his piggies. Just like the rest of our animals.
You are being a great piggie mom by being so cautious. Your mom probably is not aware of the best diet for piggies. When she is not upset any longer I agree printing out information about their diet would be helpful for her to read so she knows what to get in the future.

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
OK, thank you everyone. I have printed out information. But she doesnt want to read it. So I told her that I am trying to care for my pet like she cares for me. And I told her that some companies with a picture of a guinea pig are saying "We try to make animals eat human food." She now understands. I spent about an hour picking out all the seeds, wonderberry blast, corn, pumpkin seeds, and cinna stix. I read up on VERY MANY sites that Hartz is an aweful and careless company that doesnt care for animals. And My mom got Hartz food.

Pamela Barr

Cavy Slave
Bless your :love: ! Atleast your trying! Keep up, I didn't know about the food either at first, but I learned from this website.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I think your mom needs to realize very few companies are interested in making things that are healthy for our pets. They are mostly interested in making money. If they can make a colorful food with all sorts of things we would see as yummy treats then people will buy it despite the fact it is really unhealthy and even dangerous for the guinea pigs. They also make it as cheap as possible with ingredients that guinea pigs can't even digest so that people will buy it to save money instead of the better brands. By feeding such cheap mixes with junk in them you'll just end up paying for lots of vet bills instead of paying for the healthy food. Your guinea pig is also likely to die much sooner than if they had a good diet. That's why some people will say a guinea pig only lives 3-4 years when many on the forums have had guinea pigs live 6-8years.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.