Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What about catnip?

cobalt

Cavy Slave
Hmm... I just picked up some catnip for my recent feline aquisition (a neutered, declawed, tabby that was left behind when someone moved) and after seeing his reaction to it I became curious as to whether the catnip would have a similar effect on my piggers and if it was safe. Can anyone stear me in the right direction?

cobalt

Cavy Slave
Wow, thanks for the quick reply :) After reading just a bit of the information on that link I think I'll just forget the whole idea of giving them catnip.

C&K

Cavy Slave
I think Ly recommended a single carrot in the cage to have an entertaining go at it with all of them fighting over it!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
My pigs have toys with catnip inside and never reacted to it at all. I wouldn't give it to them as a food though.

Yes, it's fun to watch a whole herd of pigs fight over a single veggie. They all take turns grabbing out of each others mouths.

C&K

Cavy Slave
Yes, it's fun to watch a whole herd of pigs fight over a single veggie. They all take turns grabbing out of each others mouths.

That is what my three "downstairs" pigs would do.

My fosters however are a different story. I gave them some carrots the third day I had them and they where hiding in a pigloo. Oats came out and retrieved a carrot, bringing it back to the pigloo she and Trixie felt like sharing. After 1/2 a minute, I snuck up and lifted up the pigloo, they where very nicely sharing it!lol Each taking bites from either end in a manner not to disturb the other pigs eating!

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Mine love catnip. That and the basil was the only thing they would eat out of oxbow's dried herbs treat. All 9 would munch it down like hay if I let them and I even planted patches of it around the garden last year. Some of it is coming up again this year. While I wouldn't give them large amounts and probably not the finely diced catnip sold for cat toys, fresh or dried stalks/leaves seems fine and were a big hit. They much prefer the young stalks though and won't really eat it soon after it's flowered.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.