Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

a coughing sound???

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
Last night while we had the boys out in the playpen, Oreo made a noise I've never heard before. Over 2 hours time I heard it 3 times so it wasn't all that frequent or anything, but I'm a little worried. It sounded for all the world like a 3 year old child coughing. His whole body "hiccoughed" when he did this too. He wasn't eating at the time, and there was no reasonable way it could have been from dust or anything else that I can think of. The other boys were nowhere near him at the time either, so I don't think it was a defensive/offensive sound. I have never heard this before from him OR the other boys. And I haven't heard it since... and trust me, I've been listening!

Does anyone have any idea what this was? Do I need to worry? Or am I just being a worrywort?

twofinepigs

Cavy Slave
I have one pig who coughs sometimes. He does it occasionally while eating; I think he eats too fast. Sometimes he will cough when on your lap for no reason at all. He doesn't go on and on, and he doesn't do it all the time, just one single KAK and that's it.

I think if your pig coughed three times yesterday and is not coughing at all today, and has no other bothersome symptoms (weight loss, appetite down, looking ill, etc.) it is probably not cause for concern, but more experienced members may have other ideas. If he's coughing repeatedly in one session or doing it a couple days running, you might want to take him to the vet to see.

Einie once started kakking and did it repeatedly - I was alarmed and grabbed him and stuck my fingers in his mouth, and he had one of the fuzzy hay tips stuck on up his palate behind his front teeth. I fished it out for him and he was fine.

pennick

Cavy Slave
homeschoolmama said:
Last night while we had the boys out in the playpen, Oreo made a noise I've never heard before. Over 2 hours time I heard it 3 times so it wasn't all that frequent or anything, but I'm a little worried. QUOTE]

How old is your piggy? Definately keep a close watch out. A few coughs here and there is nothing but if your piggy is coughing on and off a few times each day it is definately something. So just keep attuned to him.

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
I honestly don't know how old he is. We rescued him last month & were told he is "about a year old." We're keeping a close watch on all 3, as this is their first full day together. But yeah, I've got my "listening ears" on! The last thing I want is for all 3 to get sick the first time we put them together.

kimberly78

Cavy Slave
my girl does that when she is being a greedy little bugger with the pellets. she eats so fast and then makes that noise. I have had her checked out and the vet found nothing. if you are worried wouldnt hurt to have her looked at.

Idril

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig makes a weird coughing/choking/hiccupping sound. She does it once or twice or three times, but only if she's drinking water. It's just like if you choked on your beverage a little or inhaled your saliva. It's fine if it's occaisional.

ScottandDebbie

Cavy Champion
Cavy Slave
I KNOW that sound that you are talking about. I have had some of my piggies do the same. Scared me to death at the time. But nothing ever followed. Just watch the little guy, and if it continues then I would get him to a vet.

Hugs to Oreo. Stay well little guy.

homeschoolmama

Cavy Slave
Great... thanks everyone :) guess it's me being a worrywort again. They're just so tiny, and I know how quickly something small can become a life & death situation. No more coughing noises today, so it must have just been something weird.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.