Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rice Socks

amyjane

Cavy Slave
Pippin has a new favorite toy for the upcoming cold winter months. I made several rice socks (old socks filled with rice, you pop them in the microwave and they get nice and toasty) for myself, but I never really use them. On a whim, I stuck one inside Pippin's pigloo. He's been snuggled up to it ever since! Every now and then, I'll stick in a fresh, warm one.

To ensure that he can't eat any rice, all of my rice socks are made out of two socks, doubled up. I like to use old novelty socks, because of the cute patterns. They're the perfect size for Pippin to snuggle against.

Carissa

Cavy Slave
Oh crap, I just threw out a bunch of cute socks with holes yesterday! Great idea though. I don't like throwing out perfecting good socks just because their partner has holes. I'll have to remember that next time. :)

iLoveDusty

Cavy Slave
Awwww! Great idea!

I'm gonna try that-I think my piggies will like it too!

That sounds so sweet.

AliceTittle

Cavy Slave
Wow that's given me an idea.......... Shall post later......

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I actually sewed one for Lina a while back. I made it with fleece and made a pillow case for it out of flannel. She would sleep on top of it all the time. But I can only put it in the cage when she is chilly since she is prone to over heating. I've seen her come out from under blankets with beet red ears.

guineapiglvr14

Cavy Slave
How long to you microwave it?

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
All depends on your microwave. 1min-30sec on mine.

amyjane

Cavy Slave
My socks only go in for 60 seconds. If you do it too long, they stink pretty bad (burning rice, I guess??). Start with 60 seconds and heat it up another 30 seconds until its warm.

ilovemykisses

Cavy Slave
Sounds great for me.. *cough* and the piggies :D Thanks

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Ooooh, great idea! I have tons of big socks left over from all of those years playing softball. Just got to go to ShopRite to get some rice and they'll be in their cage in no time.

bromers

Cavy Slave
That sounds like a good idea. I might try it on Bromley.

x0PiggyPerson0x

Cavy Slave
After seeing your post I whipped up one for Baby since the weather is getting a little chillier and she seems to love it.

amyjane

Cavy Slave
Since Pippin has had the socks for a while now, I've found like he likes to snuggle up to them, even when they're not warm! They make perfect piggie pillows, according to little Pippin. :) He's about to get much more use out of it, as he's going in for surgery this week. Our clinic uses them post-op (in the actual clinic until they wake up enough), but now he'll have one at home and for the ride home, as well.

thecarerescue

Cavy Slave
Hmm.. I wonder if they'd work well if they were refridgerated/freezed and placed into the cage when it was hot. Might not be as good as a frozen water bottle but it wouldn't get the cage all wet!
I hope Pippins alright, what's the surgery for? Just neutering I hope!

amyjane

Cavy Slave
I bet they would freeze well. If I let the rice socks set out somewhere in my cold apartment they get pretty cold themselves. Unfortunately its not for a neuter. We think Pippin has another bladder stone, so he'll have to have a cystotomy.

x0PiggyPerson0x

Cavy Slave
Aww, I hope he gets through it fine, good luck.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.