Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

flea treatment

jeza921

Cavy Slave
I took my cat to the vet today because she has a urinary tract infection. Well, she also has fleas, which shocked me, since she's an indoor only cat, doesn't scratch, and had a three month treatment of advantage when we first moved into this apartment.

Anyway, talking to the vet, I asked "what about my guinea pigs?" So she went and got the exotic vet, who gave me puppy/kitten flea killer stuff, which I am supposed to extract with a needle and deposit half on each pig.

This sounds great in theory. Unfortunately, I was not very good at getting all the liquid into the surenge (sp?). And then, I put probably 2/3rds on one pig, and 1/3 on the other. THEN I accidentally pricked the pig that got 1/3. Ohh the guilt.

Is there anything above that I need to be concerned about?

aqh88

Cavy Slave
What is the flea killer? Advantage is just fine for guinea pigs and proven safe so my choice would be to use one of the cat tubes on the guinea pigs. Of course you'd need to know the dosage and that can be found somewhere on guinealynx. I would start looking here https://guinealynx.info/parasites.html. I really hate the new site design. I can't find things anywhere near as easily as before.
A hint: take the needle off after you measure medicine out of a bottle. Then you can put on the drops without poking the animal.

jeza921

Cavy Slave
It's puppy/kitten advantage. I did check them with the flea comb, and I didn't really see anything, but I treated them just to be 100% sure because my cat will snuggle next to the pigs when they're on my lap. Sometimes she grooms them.

TheMadWheeker

Cavy Slave
My puppy sable loves to lick them if I let her get close enough, but the piggers dont seem to like it to much :D

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Advantage has to be administered by weight. You could have overdosed your pigs.

Marlania

Cavy Slave
jeza921 said:
It's puppy/kitten advantage.
Doesn't Advantage have separate weight dosages for dogs and for cats? I'm not aware that there's a combined dog/cat one. I know there's 2 doses for cats: kittens/cats 9 lbs. and under cats over 9 lbs. And then for dogs, it's Puppies/Dogs 10 lbs. and under, 11-20 lbs., 21-55 lbs., and 55 lbs and over.

jeza921

Cavy Slave
It was a different brand of that stuff, it's called Revolution, and it's for puppies/kittens under 5 pounds.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Revolution is somewhat new but so far has proven safe and effective on guinea pigs. Do you have 1ml or 1cc syringes? You should be able to measure out each guinea pigs dose seperately instead of together and then you won't dose them out uneven.

Marlania

Cavy Slave
jeza921 said:
It was a different brand of that stuff, it's called Revolution, and it's for puppies/kittens under 5 pounds.

Sorry, I saw where you wrote Advantage in an above post. Just checking.:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.