Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Is My Piggy Pregnant? (with photos)

anngelyleeds

Cavy Gazer
Here's Kilie's crazy story. My grandma bought me a 3 month old "female" guinea pig from a pet store on black Friday. On December 16th, "she" passed away. I never even thought to confirm the gender.. About 2-3 weeks after "she" passed away, Kilie was drinking like crazy, and we didn't know why, but we ignored it. On January 12th, we noticed Kilie wasn't acting herself, she was just lying around doing nothing. So we took her to the vet. The vet felt around her tummy and said she had an abdominal mass, and it could have been uterine or in her kidney, but he needed an x-ray to make sure what it was. The x-ray was out of my price range, so I went home feeling terrible, and like Kilie was going to die! A day after her visit, she was back to normal. Now she feels heavier when I pick her up, and she eats more than usual. I'm not sure if it's all in my head, or if she's pregnant. She is 4 years and she's never been pregnant before to my knowledge (she was a rescue). I tried to feel for any baby movement, but I'm not sure I was feeling the right areas. So.. does she look pregnant, or just fat.. lol
20150125_155447.jpg
l
20150125_155704.jpg
20150125_155715.jpg
20150125_155759.jpg
20150125_155809.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pictures, she was on the move, haha!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd get her back to a vet for another look. If she is pregnant at age 4, this could end up being a high risk pregnancy where you'll need vet intervention, anyway. I'd take her to an exotic vet that specializes in guinea pigs so you can get the answer you're looking for.

anngelyleeds

Cavy Gazer
Oh I never knew they made them look pregnant! She does have crust around her nipples, but no hair loss... Thank u for the link

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Crust around the nipples is, in my opinion, the most telling sign that a pig has either ovarian cysts or some other reproductive problem.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.