Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What does a sneeze sound like?

sarav

Cavy Slave
Hi,
I just bought a skinny pig (a guinea pig with no fur) and I was just wondering if there was anyone that has any tips for me to take care of him. I have never owned a Guinea Pig before because my dad is allergic to them so when I found these guys I jumped at the chance to have one. But I have one small question: What does a Guinea Pig/Skinny Pig’s sneeze sound like? I was just wondering because mine kind of makes little huffs… and I don’t know if it’s sneezing or not. I called a vet already, and the pet store and told me what would happen if he was sick. But, he doesn’t seem sick, he’s eating his pellets and the lettuce that I’ve been giving him, and he’s been drinking the water and I put Vitamin C in his water and he loves the taste so he’s drinking it. He loves the hay I give him and he eats all of that too. But she told me to keep an eye on him in case there MIGHT be something wrong. So I found this website and I thought I’d ask to see if anyone could help explain the sound of their sneeze for me. Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I've never had a guinea pig before!

Thanks,
Sara

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Skinnies have incredibly weak immune systems. They are not a hardy breed and when they get sick, it is really hard to get them better again. They are an expensive breed.

Please find a cavy savy vet and have him looked over. Guinea pigs go downhill fast and skinnies especially. He could have a URI/pneumonia, which is common in pet store animals.

Forget EVERYTHING the pet store told you and start here: www.guinealynx.info under care info then medical. You can search the forums for skinny topics.

What are you feeding him? Stop putting things in his water. What kind of lettuce, hopefully not iceberg?

sarav

Cavy Slave
okay... now i'm scared. I fed him Romaine lettuce and the girl at the pet store said to go and buy Vitamin C from a drug store, the kind you or I would take and break it up into really small bits and put it in his water. This was the site that I was going by to keep him healthy,
(broken link removed)
I hope that works, it seemed like a decent site to go by. Just one more question though, what does a sneeze sound like, how do i know he's not just making a normal noise?
Thanks

my_oreo_cookie

Cavy Slave
my guinea pig sneezes sound like strong exhales. (does that make sense?) like, PHOOF! its funny

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
A piggie sneeze sounds like a human sneeze.

the girl at the pet store said to go and buy Vitamin C from a drug store, the kind you or I would take and break it up into really small bits and put it in his water.
You can give him that Vitamin C, but not in the water. Either let him eat it or crush it up and sprinkle it on the veggies. He will need a lot more variety of veggies than just romaine. Do a forum search and you will find threads that will tell you what are good daily veggies and good every other day or weekly veggies.

Some of the info on that website you posted is totally incorrect. I would get advise from here and www.guinealynx.info.

I also advise taking him to a cavy savvy vet and having him checked out. URI's/pneumonia can be deadly if not treated.

sarav

Cavy Slave
Ly&Pigs said:
A piggie sneeze sounds like a human sneeze.

the girl at the pet store said to go and buy Vitamin C from a drug store, the kind you or I would take and break it up into really small bits and put it in his water.
You can give him that Vitamin C, but not in the water. Either let him eat it or crush it up and sprinkle it on the veggies. He will need a lot more variety of veggies than just romaine. Do a forum search and you will find threads that will tell you what are good daily veggies and good every other day or weekly veggies.

Some of the info on that website you posted is totally incorrect. I would get advise from here and www.guinealynx.info.

His sneeze kinda sounds like a hiccup and a squeek and a huff at the same time. Like it's not harsh or anything. Just like a huff with a little squeek but he jumps at the same time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.