Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Supplements What's a Good Brand of Human Vitamin C?

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
With all of my recent vet visits for Margaret and her bladder stone my vet has strongly suggested to start a vitamin C supplement with all 4 of girls.

I'm having troubles finding a good tablet though. I know that Oxbow no longer makes their daily C tablets and I'm not a fan of their new natural science Vitamin C tabs.

The vet recommended that a 100mg human vitamin C tablet would be good to halve and give a piece to each pig but the problem is I can't seem to find 100mg tablets. Everything is either 500mg or 1000mg, even in the children's supplements, they are either 250mg gummies or flavoured 500mg chewables. I've looked on amazon and different online stores and am not having any luck with finding 100mg tablets.

The only thing I've found is these:

https://www.gnc.com/GNC-Chewable-C-100-mg-Chewable-Mixed-Fruit/product.jsp?productId=16654996

I don't think they are acceptable though as they do have other ingredients added.

I was wondering if any one knows of an acceptable brand of Vitamin C? I can then check to see if it's available in my location.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I'm also wondering about this, since I haven't had any luck finding 100mg tablets.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I'm happy I'm not the only one! My searching so far has turned up absolutely nothing...

The only thing I found that could maybe work is powdered vitamin C. The only problem is when doing the math, they would only need a minuscule amount. For the kind that I found 1/64 of a teaspoon had 78mg of Vitamin C, which is too much but 1/128 of a teaspoon has 39mg which would work, but finding a teaspoon that small is impossible.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I believe you can also give them liquid vitamin C drops. Like the kind that say to put in their water, but you just give them directly into the pig's mouth instead.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I'm wondering if they would like the taste of those though? I cannot imagine that concentrated vitamin C drops will be appealing to them and I don't want to have to fight with them every day to get drops in their mouth's that they hate.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
If it is too concentrated for them then just measure up the amount, put it in a small container and dilute it with 1mL of water then suck it back up the syringe and syringe the diluted mix to them. It might take some tweaking to get it to the just right concentration.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Well those would probably be perfect! Thanks, I just need to triple check with the calcium stearate to be sure it won't have a negative effect on my stone pig.

I was also able to find a vitamin C powder but it has rosehips in it and I'm wondering if it would be ok for them to have everyday. This powder would be easy as I could use a tiny teaspoon (1/64) and just sprinkle it on a cucumber slice for them. With the little teaspoon it would be about 62mg of vit. C so I could just make sure it's a little less and it would be close enough to 50mg.

https://www.gnc.com/GNC-Vitamin-C-2000-MG-Crystals/product.jsp?productId=16513106

Jonesloonybin

Cavy Slave
I found these on Amazon. What do you all think??
(broken link removed)

Jonesloonybin

Cavy Slave
Since this is apparently now my thread, I am bumping this up to see if I can get any responses. I am picking up a pregnant guinea pig tomorrow. She was abandoned by her owner, who never fed her hay or veggies. I am not really sure what she was fed. I am really trying to find ways to get her the extra vitamin C and Calcium that she will need.

Thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Any plain human vitamin C tablet will do. Avoid things with a lot of sugar, as well as multivitamins.

Blake81

Cavy Slave
@Jonesloonybin, did you find a tab you and the piggy liked?

I'm getting my boys (thought they were girls - typo on their adoption page but I digress) this weekend!

According to their foster mom the vet has recommended supplementing them for a bit longer with Vitamin C since they were showing signs of deficiency. Doubtful they were fed veggies before they were surrendered at the shelter. They've been using Vit C in the water but after reading a bit I don't think I want to go that route but definitely having trouble finding a tablet that's 1)only 100mg so easy to break up and 2)not full of other ingredients.

The Kangavitis showed up in my searches but first two ingredients are sugar so I'd prefer another route.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.