Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Plastic under-bed storage tub for "playpen"?

CavyMommie

Cavy Slave
Please don't jump on me, here, but I thought I had a rather brilliant idea to use one of those huge under-bed storage tubs for Checkers' playpen? Then I started wondering if it was big enough for him to spend more time in (since I made the noob mistake of buying a cage from PetSmart and now I can't return it. *&$^%!!)? I'm thinking the sides are too low, and of course it's not big enough...right?
Here's a photo for scale:
IMG_9636.jpg

I put him in here when I'm cleaning his other cage or to have him in my office with me. Right now he just hides in the hidey house anyway!! :confused:

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't use it as a permanent cage but you can use it as a waiting area while you clean the cage. Some guinea pigs don't take advantage of floor time. If you have a pig that just sits there during floor time I'd do lap time instead. For floor time I usually have a large play pen that I use. Or sometimes I'll free roam them in the living room.

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I think its ok for cage cleaning. How is it compared to the store bought cage? More room?? He might be able to climb over the sides, they look low. But if its just for cage cleaning.
Can you resale the cage on Craiglist and take that money and put towards C&C grids? They are only 20$ at Bed Bath and Beyond and will make at least a 2x6 cage.

CavyMommie

Cavy Slave
Thanks, everyone. I think I will try re-selling the smaller on Craig's List. Good idea. Going out this weekend for all the stuff to make the cage. My husband thinks I'm nuts the way I'm obsessing over this! :crazy:

Power Piggies

Cavy Slave
Haha mine too! She has taken over the office. I am buying c&cs this weekend :)

Cosmic

Cavy Slave
Make sure that when you put up an ad you say that it is not suitable housing for a guinea pig. You could say it's a carrier for vet trips and such.

prettynyguen

Cavy Slave
i've seen some people make expansions on their store-bought cages with grids and coroplast. you could make a little ramp up to the store-bought cage part, and use that for your kitchen section.

pinky

Cavy Slave
As long as you're in the room with him, it's fine while cleaning the cage or to keep him to an area where you'll be and want him to be for a short period of time. You're right about the height of the sides being too low. You wouldn't want him in there unsupervised because he could easily hop out and chew things in the room. I put mine in a towel lined laundry basket when I need to take them out of the cage for a short while. They just nap in there so the space isn't an issue.

imaanzg

Cavy Slave
What if I have a storage box that's the appropriate size for a permanent cage, and I'm able to make the sides longer? Would I be able to move my guinea pigs into there?

pinky

Cavy Slave
What if I have a storage box that's the appropriate size for a permanent cage, and I'm able to make the sides longer? Would I be able to move my guinea pigs into there?

I don't think there are any under the bed storage boxes that are large enough for a guinea pig cage to hold even one guinea pig.

Photolove3

Cavy Slave

I think that if you're looking to do this you would need to join 2 or 3 (or maybe more depending on the bin and amount of pigs) together and then if it has the low sides probably put grids around it. And at that point its easier to just go get coroplast and make a regular type c&c cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.