Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Top 5 Guinea Pig Accessories?

PumpkinPig

Cavy Slave
I thought, just for fun, it would be interesting to see what your top 5 accessories for your guinea pig(s) are. I wasn't thinking basic things like food bowls or water bottles necessarily, more like the fun extras that make your pigs happy (hideys, chews, hammocks, etc).

So what are your top 5 accessories that you and your piggies couldn't live without?

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
Some accessories my pigs could not live without are folded up blankets, fiddlesticks, small fish hidey house- alligator, fleece tunnels, and I know you said you weren't talking about bowls, however I can't live without a short sided bowl. With the big sides my pigs will throw out all of their food but not with my short sided bowl.

PumpkinPig

Cavy Slave
@CudsGwennyPash I think a good food bowl can be a good exception to the rules. :) Is the alligator a hidey house too? I think I saw an alligator hidey on Wag.com, that's where I bought my hidey octopus house!

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
@PumpkinPig Yes the alligator is a hidey house, I got it from drfosterandsmith. How small are your pigs? My baby pig can't even fit in the octopus hidey house.

PumpkinPig

Cavy Slave
@CudsGwennyPash My pig is less than a year old, but I haven't brought him home yet as the shelter I adopted him from is holding onto him until I get back from vacation. I saw a Youtuber with guinea pigs had the octopus, so when I found it I was excited, but now that you mention it the mouth hole does seem pretty small. I'll have to see if he's way too big for it already and swap it out for the alligator. Does the alligator mouth seem like it's a more reasonable size for bigger pigs?

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
@PumpkinPig One that you might like is the elephant one. I have really fat pigs and they can fit into it easily so if you are looking for a new hidey house than I think you should try it. Unless your pigs are like mine and prefer a blanket over hidey houses than you could just buy some random fleece blankets for really cheap and fold them up for them to hide in. :)

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
@CudsGwennyPash My pig is less than a year old, but I haven't brought him home yet as the shelter I adopted him from is holding onto him until I get back from vacation. I saw a Youtuber with guinea pigs had the octopus, so when I found it I was excited, but now that you mention it the mouth hole does seem pretty small. I'll have to see if he's way too big for it already and swap it out for the alligator. Does the alligator mouth seem like it's a more reasonable size for bigger pigs?

The alligator is plenty big, my pigs love to share hideys and two of them will fit into it... well actually three now that I have a couple of babies that will squish in between the two adults. Also the elephant that I mentioned in my last post also can fit two pigs.

PumpkinPig

Cavy Slave
@CudsGwennyPash Great idea! Little blanket "forts" for piggies sound really cute and inexpensive. :)

Thanks for letting me know about the alligator and elephant as well! I know I got free shipping both ways so I can probably swap out the octopus for a bigger one. That sounds so cute having your piggies hang out in there together!!

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
@CudsGwennyPash Great idea! Little blanket "forts" for piggies sound really cute and inexpensive. :)

Thanks for letting me know about the alligator and elephant as well! I know I got free shipping both ways so I can probably swap out the octopus for a bigger one. That sounds so cute having your piggies hang out in there together!!

The blankets are much more effective. I don't buy high quality fleece for these since they are just going to be folded up. I get the 2 to 3 dollar blankets from walmart with a bunch of different prints on them. It is also better since they can lay on top if they are hot and will have cushion, if they are cold they can snuggle up into it, and they can eat inside of it... that is what my pigs do. Since the blankets are so big your pigs can also share the blanket, I have 4 pigs, and am picking up two more in 4 days and they all share the blanket right now with plenty of room. So I do suggest you get the alligator or elephant, because they are cute, however you don't need to cause blankets are just as good. :)

PumpkinPig

Cavy Slave
Congrats on adding 2 more piggies, how exciting! :) If you can, you should definitely post pictures of all your piggies sharing a blanket and hanging out together because that sounds too cute!! Good suggestion with the cheap blankets too, that definitely sounds like a great accessory for piggies!

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
Congrats on adding 2 more piggies, how exciting! :) If you can, you should definitely post pictures of all your piggies sharing a blanket and hanging out together because that sounds too cute!! Good suggestion with the cheap blankets too, that definitely sounds like a great accessory for piggies!

I can post a picture, cause my pigs aren't skittish. I think I will wait until the 19th to do it though, when my girls are going to have floor time all day, because of introductions. I will get atlest 4 of them in there hopefully all 6.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Tunnels my boys like tunnels.

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave

Another thing that makes a great hidey, is a cat bed from the dollar store or if you don't have those from somewhere else. I think they are about 5 dollars. My pigs love those by them selves but they also like a blanket draped over it. So if you got a blanket and a cat bed, you already have a bunch of options for hidey houses... cat bed, cat bed with blanket, or just a folded blanket, and it only will cost about 10 dollars.

PumpkinPig

Cavy Slave
@Starthecavy123 I could never get my last guinea pig interested in tunnels! She was far more interested in burrowing under blankets. :) But each little piggy is different.

CudsGwennyPash, you have so many great and inexpensive ideas, thanks for sharing!! I can't wait to see a picture of all of your girls together. :)

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
@Starthecavy123 I could never get my last guinea pig interested in tunnels! She was far more interested in burrowing under blankets. :) But each little piggy is different.

CudsGwennyPash, you have so many great and inexpensive ideas, thanks for sharing!! I can't wait to see a picture of all of your girls together. :)

Was the tunnel able to stay open? The first tunnel I ever got was a crinkle tunnel and they loved it but I didn't. I put a blanket in it which made me like it. Then I had to throw it away cause after three years it was pretty much done, so I ordered some fleece tunnels from peeweespiggypalace, but they didn't like them cause they won't stay open. So I gave up on tunnels, however I just recently bought some natural fiddlesticks from drfosterandsmith a couple months ago, and found my girls loved them. I didn't like the look however I quickly draped a blanket over the top and fell in love with them. It is nice and dark in them so the pigs absolutely adore them, and they can chew on them from the inside.

PumpkinPig

Cavy Slave
It was an open tunnel made from an old oatmeal container tube. She didn't even want to chew on it! But I like your idea of enticing the piggies in with some blankets for that added piggy privacy! I've never tried fleece tunnels and have looked on etsy for them, most of them don't look very big or wide, maybe they're less for play and more for sleeping and hanging out in.

I'll have to check out drfoserandsmith too!

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
It was an open tunnel made from an old oatmeal container tube. She didn't even want to chew on it! But I like your idea of enticing the piggies in with some blankets for that added piggy privacy! I've never tried fleece tunnels and have looked on etsy for them, most of them don't look very big or wide, maybe they're less for play and more for sleeping and hanging out in.

I'll have to check out drfoserandsmith too!

My pigs don't chew on that stuff either. They very rarely even chew on wood. I do think that the tunnels are for sleeping that is what my pigs love to do. Another reason why I can't use the tunnels from peeweespiggypalace anymore is because they are too small. My babies still fit but not the adults, which is really sad, because they love them. :( Maybe you could find some that are big enough though, and if not then just get some fiddlesticks and drape it with fleece.

PumpkinPig

Cavy Slave
Fiddlesticks with fleece it is! He's a pretty big boy already so I think some of those tunnels and the octopus don't stand a chance! lol I know some piggies like tunnels for play and others like tunnels for sleep, so it'll be interesting to see what our new piggy babies prefer!

CudsGwennyPash

Cavy Slave
Fiddlesticks with fleece it is! He's a pretty big boy already so I think some of those tunnels and the octopus don't stand a chance! lol I know some piggies like tunnels for play and others like tunnels for sleep, so it'll be interesting to see what our new piggy babies prefer!

I am sure he will love them. Make sure you get the large size, because I bought the medium size and it was too small for my girls. Again it worked when they were babies but they outgrew it. They won't outgrow this one though because it is big enough for a small rabbit to go under.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
@CudsGwennyPash Yes it was a fleece tunnel that I bought from piggiepigpigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.