Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Biting nibbling and biting normal or not?

BopBop

Cavy Slave
Our girl is about 3 months old. She has in the last month started nibbling on fingers. I have been careful not to handle her when I smell like food.
I know some nibbling is normal but she's started biting down hard now and today pinched hard enough to draw blood. She's usually fine in my lap or with being picked up. It seems to be when she's been out of her cage for a bit and needs to potty. Or if I'm holding her against my chest she gets nervous.
I've been holding her just a bit longer so she doesn't associate biting with getting put away. We do lots of hand feeding of veggies so hands should be associated with love and good things.
What else can we do? Just wait it out?

Last edited:

RandomCavy

Cavy Slave
Re: nibbling and biting normal o zar not?

My guinea pig seems to have to "test" my fingers to see if they're carrots. I am still pretty new to guinea pigs so I can't help much more...

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Could she be going through puberty/adolescence? I think that might explain the change in behaviour ... she's becoming more assertive. Like she is saying, "Hey, I need to pee/poo NOW. Put me down!!" Haha, I'm gonna bite your finger to get my way. :mischievo I could be mistaken though - can't remember exactly when puberty starts for guinea pigs. Maybe someone else will know... I also heard, again not sure if it is true - but biting could be a sign that a guinea pig is in pain ... Hope that helps!! :)

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Is she biting you because she feels un-comfortable when being handled and petted? If so, she could possibly have mites.
Or, you could possibly just have a Piggy who likes fingers for lunch! Mocha used to be a biter when she was a lot younger, she eventually grew out of it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Nibbling can definitely be a sign of wanting to be put back in the cage. If I were you, I'd try putting her back when she first nibbles and see if that solves the problem. If she's ok in your lap for the first 15 minutes or so, that's probably good enough, particularly for a baby.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
2 out of 7 of my boys nibble on me or any beds that are near them when they are ready to go back to their cage during lap time. They have never drawn blood but if I didn't take my finger away the second they tried to bite down, it would be possible. I don't think they would mean too, they are just very spunky! Some piggies nibble a lot more than others. Every young boy I've had has always nibbled me as if they were testing my fingers to see what they were. The more it happens, the easier it is to see when they are about to bite down so you can remove your finger for a bit.. Honestly I just put my boys back into their cage when they start nibbling on me or beds, that lets me know they are done and I am perfectly fine with that

BopBop

Cavy Slave
She has no issues being petted or held. Just typically near the cage. You guys don't think putting her back at the nibbles re-enforces it? Or will make it worse? I can certainly try it. She's very smart. All ready coming when called and takes her veggies and such very nicely from my fingers or dd's. She loves my daughter more than me, no nibbling or biting her and she's only 20 months.
But I let dd give the majority of the veggies so she associates her with good things.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Muggle nibbles when he is tired of attention too(ready to go back for which ever reason). If ignored he will bite harder, if ignored I get peed or pooped on.

soccerchickgrp5

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
When my boy Dale is in an uncomfortable position he bites hard on my shoulder or finger. He usually just nibbles on fingers if you put your fingers in the cage. It can be associated with love and good things. When Chip wants attention he nibbles my stomach for attention.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Muggle nibbles when he is tired of attention too(ready to go back for which ever reason). If ignored he will bite harder, if ignored I get peed or pooped on.
So true! :) Mine do the same thing

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
She has no issues being petted or held. Just typically near the cage. You guys don't think putting her back at the nibbles re-enforces it? Or will make it worse? I can certainly try it. She's very smart. All ready coming when called and takes her veggies and such very nicely from my fingers or dd's. She loves my daughter more than me, no nibbling or biting her and she's only 20 months.
But I let dd give the majority of the veggies so she associates her with good things.
I would equal out those veggies that way she starts thinking of you the same way as you daughter. Maybe one can do AM, then another PM veggies? Do not reinforce if it's in the cage. If you see your piggy about to bite hard pull your arm out for a few moments then try to love on her again. If you're doing lap time with her and she does bite, that means she is ready to go back. I always put them back if they do this. It's mainly because they need to go potty but my Guinness doesn't mind peeing on me so he won't start biting on me until he is done with the cuddling. :p Nibbles are way different then bites. A few of my boys will give kisses and nibbles :)

BopBop

Cavy Slave
Thank you all! Will try it and hopefully it curbs the behavior a bit so she knows she doesn't have to chomp down to get my attention!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.